{TWENTY-THREE)

{TWENTY-THREE}

Everything stopped when the words left my lips.

Time, sound, my breathing, my heart. Everything.

I looked at Janet, but I couldn't really look at her, it was more like I was looking through her. Her face has gone pale, she looked like I had just slapped her in the face, Which maybe I did, slapped her with my words.

This was our family. I just ruined our family. We couldn't stay married, we couldn't be together. She would get it, she was smart.

Her mouth opened, then closed, then opened again before Dr. Bennett intervened.

"Janet, I understand what you just heard may be a little shocking to you, I want you to tell me the emotions that you're feeling right now."

Janet swallowed, blinked, opened her mouth. "I-" Janet stood up, I stood up too but Dr. Bennett put a hand on my arm when Janet ran out of the room and I had gone to follow.

"Give her time, it's a lot to prosses. I'll call her tomorrow morning and book another appointment. I think it's best, in my personal and professional opinion if you give her some space, feel free to go home, but not right away. I'm very proud of you Sidney, you did something not a lot of married men can do. It may not seem so, but better things are on the way for you. You did something very strong today."

I nodded, still feeling numb. I spoke with Dr. Bennett for another half hour until it was time for me to leave. I looked outside the fourth-floor window and saw that Scott was still sitting in the parking lot, and I let out a deep sigh, thankful that he didn't leave because I don't know what I would do if he wasn't there

I walked to the elevator and got to the front doors when I saw Scott sitting in a chair by the front desk. When we locked eyes he stood up, I walked to him slowly, like time was on slow forward now, and off pause. Once I finally got to him I fell into his arms, his wrapped around me as my head fell onto his shoulder, and one shaky breath turned into two, two turned into four. I felt bad for the woman at the desk because it must have been awkward for her to sit there while I cried into the arms of another man. But I couldn't stop myself, every emotion I felt came crashing down when I saw him.

And he was there.

I was so fucking thankful because he was there.

"I made you hot chocolate," Scott said, placing a mug on the coffee table in front of me

"I made you hot chocolate," Scott said, placing a mug on the coffee table in front of me. I felt kind of like a zombie, sick to my stomach. Janet had texted me and asked me rather kindly not to come home tonight, that Morgan and friends over and she didn't want us to be in the state we both were in, in front of Morgan and her friends.

I respected that and understood completely. But I couldn't help but think this was the start of me losing my family. First, it would start with me not being able to come over, then it would turn into I couldn't take the kids places, she wouldn't want me to be at the house during Christmas.