CHAPTER 6: NO VACANCY

Mubarak was awfully late again, it had to be the late night he pulled in

Mubarak was awfully late again, it had to be the late night he pulled in. It had to stop, before he made it a habit, and he wouldn't be useful in today's executive team meeting if he didn't have a cuppa coffee. He envied his brother's knack of punctuality, had things been good between them Bilaal would have served as his alarm clock by calling him repeatedly to get him up and about, hence ready for this meeting. But now he had to rely on his alarm clock which had a snooze button on it. 

Why did they create the snooze on it if the aim of an alarm was to do the jarring? 

Keeping the folder he had been working on last night on the breakfast nook table, he fixed himself a cuppa. Hajiya had already left the kitchen, a confirmation of just how stately late he was.

Mrs G was out back. Mrs Gabriella, their father's Kenyan aide's wife who they called Mrs G, occasionally came over to help Hajiya Kulthum with some of the domestic work. Her family had been with them at the mansion for so long they considered them family. Mostly in the mornings she was scheduled to come in, they got ready for a mean tasting pastry, which was her speciality, she always came carrying a wickerwork box. In her mid-fifties, she had a charm that was infectious. Mubarak waved at her when she turned around and she beamed at him returning a wave of her own. The cleaners came in twice a week to take care of the mansion, on other days, his mother still made her home presentable. 

That woman was strong. 

And the swipe that just flashed through his vision was quick. That was his first thought before he realized what had just happened. The scald first registered then the dampness, he jumped out of his seat, and his hands flew to the folder and his bag. Shaking the liquid off the casing of his folder. He snapped at the perpetrator. 

"What the heck!" He looked up and there she stood in front of him, he felt like killing someone that instant, and it wasn't his routine thought. 

"I'm sorry. It's just that you startled me, I was in the fridge..." She gestured behind her, how did he not see the refrigerator door opened. And what was with her and hiding in cold places? Now she got coffee on his suit and on his damn folder. 

Mubarak closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath he miraculously detached himself from the thoughts of murder. 

"When next you see me, run." He said, as remarkably equable as he could.  

Maryam's eyes popped, she felt the chills from his rolling voice and she swore for a minute there she thought he was going to shred her to pieces. Or huddle her back on the plane she came in two days ago. 

She would have begged him not to put her on that plane, not because she was dying to marry him but because she really really needed to get over this thing and get back her old life. And she was really really tired of jets and automobiles she didn't think if he hurled her on one now she would survive it.