CHAPTER 7: THE TOUR

It had been nine days since Maryam had any sensible interaction with Mubarak, nine days that all comprised of watching the TV work

It had been nine days since Maryam had any sensible interaction with Mubarak, nine days that all comprised of watching the TV work. He refused to speak about the fact that her education was just an excuse their parents had used to throw them together, no, he saw her as what she was- Nothing. 

Maryam wondered if she had not made a mistake by agreeing to consider this alliance. The few times that their paths had crossed were filled with sour memories, he had either intentionally hurt her or pretended as if she wasn't there, to begin with. 

After the knife incident, all pretence of getting to know each other took a back seat, now Mubarak wasn't even showing face. Had it stopped at that, Maryam would have been fine with his attitude, but it was beyond that and she wondered if she had just been hooked to a loose cannon. Especially after she had caught him staring at Sa'ima on two occasions that they visited during the course of her stay at the mansion. 

Now Maryam sat in his parents' main living room with Wafiyya, waiting for him to come home from work, she deliberated over all the things she wanted to say to him. She needed to make things straight for her own sake. She had never done this, all the while she had placed it upon herself to be the obedient girl but she now saw the stupidity of her choice. If he wouldn't even give her the time to understand him and conversely him to her, she saw no future in what their parents were trying to fix. She was no nurse to nurse his injured heart, he was big enough to take care of his heart and his ego. 

Wafiyya turned off the tv and Maryam's gaze travelled to her cousin, "What, why would you turn it off? I was having fun!"

Wafiyya sat up on the couch "It's not like you're even watching the thing or anything. Can you please stop getting lost in thoughts? What are you even thinking about? Just let it go, if you're going to ruin your days and nights thinking about what would have been or what is to come, then I don't know what to say to you."

Wafiyya had turned into her mini-therapist, who kept talking to her about her fears of how things were taking shape, she was much younger than her, at fourteen, she said so many words that made sense. She had it good when it came to putting people together. 

Maryam sighed "Who said I was thinking about someone?"

Wafiyya rolled her eyes, and let out a puff of air. "I didn't say, someone, except if that's who you're thinking about." Maryam looked away twisting her mouth. Busted. 

"Okay, you got me. It's just that... I don't know what's wrong with Ya Mubarak he's been avoiding me like the plague. And I'm not the kind to be clingy when I'm being pushed away. You see I may be going home soon. But not once did he even show he knows what's going on and I don't think I have it in me to face him with this. After all, our parents have decided, and I've agreed out of the respect I have for them and thinking that he was a good choice knowing how Hajiya has trained her children to be. 

"I'm not saying this because you're here, but really you all are lovely people brought up with good hearts, people with such qualities come rarely these days, I thought Ya Mubarak was like that too, but... I just don't want to be hurt, or even hurt him in the process. I feel like he hates me... no, I know he hates me." It wasn't a new thing for her, the least he could do was just tell her his intentions and rid her of her misery.