CHAPTER 9: THE NOTEBOOK (PART TWO)

Mubarak's gaze was still fixated on Maryam when he spoke

Mubarak's gaze was still fixated on Maryam when he spoke. "You have taken notes on me?" There was no disbelief in his voice just pure curiosity and a ton-load of amusement. Now he would laugh to his fill.

"No, don't flatter yourself. It's nothing, give it to me, you don't open a lady's notebook." Maryam stepped forward, but he took it back, holding it behind him.

His brows furrowed. "Since when?"

"Since etiquettes exist."

Maryam could see the glint in his eyes and she was sure he just assumed himself a challenge. And as far as she knew Mubarak Umar Bugaje he had every intention of winning. His gaze left hers and he opened the notebook scanning the first page. "Mubarak loves white?" His scowl deepened, then he looked up at her. "Who says I love white?"

"Okay, that... you shouldn't read that, give me my book. Mama wrote it for me," She said with a brief roll of her eyes. "She thought giving me a heads-up about you might help. But apparently, she has no idea... I've never even read it!" She said, in her defence.

The edge of his mouth lifted into a smile, "She has no idea that I'm unique?"

"Why do you like to flatter yourself? That is self-aggrandizing. It is unflattering."

He chuckled and his voice, oh his voice was so thick, and deep, he sounded like home. So comforting just like someone who had a cold or someone who just woke up from sleep and had a hot cup of ginger-cloves tea. Okay ears, that was one creepy way to listen to him, there was nothing comforting about this man.

A shady man who always got home at midnight sometimes well into the morning. Maryam felt the need to ask him where he stayed late every night. Since he always seemed to be in his outdoor wear when he met her at mid-night at their unspoken rendezvous point.

Granted, this night and a few others were exceptions. But somehow she felt she didn't have that right yet. Oh, she was dying to know. She just wished that thing about him being 'the King' was actually a ruse and he wasn't like a double-agent, an attorney in the day and a mafia at night... Wait. Was he coming home late just to avoid meeting her? Today was an exception because he wanted to meet her and give her her notebook. But before she could ask him, he spoke.

"Okay, white is not my colour, you may want to amend that." He said, surprising her, she had never expected him to open up to her, much less offer anything that had to do with him.

Maryam squinted at him, he was staunchly going over that list and number nine made her cringe, oh let him be blinded and not read number nine. She had lied to him, she had actually taken a peep. After that first time in the flight- if she could call one hour staring a peep- trying to figure him out when he wouldn't open up to her himself.

So she decided a little distraction might help, he should not read number nine.

"Why are you always in white, cream or grey then? If you don't love white?"