CHAPTER 13: HOMECOMING

Assalamu alaikum, do have a wonderful weekend.

After this, until further notice hihihihi.

Okay, just kidding; but we are talking Wednesday/Thursday-ish. In sha Allah.

****

School started two weeks later, living close to the university was really helpful to Maryam since her classes were in the evenings. During the first few days, Hajiya Kulthum accompanied her to the station and showed her how to get around and back home. 

Maryam knew she needed to stay on her feet to ace her studies. Even though she had been trying to write for the past years, this was the first time she was seeing it from a formal perspective. She had gradually eased into her routine.  But the onset of Ramadaan along with her evening classes was proving difficult for her. Despite that, she pushed through it because that was what she knew best in life. 

She had terribly missed home and wanted to fly back. Even though she had no room to spare for other activities, Maryam tried to keep up with her Qur'an studies with Hajiya Kulthum and Wafiyya. 

Most of the evenings they all had their iftaar here at the mansion, Sa'ima and Bilaal joined them too. 

After their deal with Mubarak, Maryam had seen less and less of him, he was either working late always or travelling on the days they met, to take Hajiya's suspicious eyes off their scheme, he played along with their plan. 

A date had been fixed, the 26th of December. She would have two weeks head start, and they could be back in time for her fresh term. It was all working well. 

Despite all their plans and their mindset about where they stood in each other's life, Maryam disregarded her thoughts and used the month of Ramadan to her full advantage, she prayed for Allah's guidance and hoped for the best thing in life.

Hajiya Aisha would call her and seek her opinion on all that needed to be done before she returned home. 

Sometimes it felt as if her mother had done nothing except plan her wedding since she was born. 

"You have to open your mouth and talk, this thing will happen the moment you touched down, do you think we have time for all your I-don't-knows? I am inviting important people, we can't lose face, this is the first time I am marrying off my daughter, you have seen how other people's weddings have turned out, yours won't be any less."

"Mama, you have very keen eyes for design and I am happy with your choices, I've spoken with Surayya and she will choose my outfits for me, as for the other things, I leave the ball in your court."

"Alright, we shall start then. How are you doing with that Drama you are studying?"

"Mama, it is not just drama, it has everything in it, and I love every bit of it. We get to write about so many things, there are interactive sessions, assessments, field trips. It is fun, even though I haven't gone on one yet. And I think one day I'm going to write about you."

Hajiya Aisha scoffed, "Nonsense, what will you make me in your book? Your horror story?"

Maryam tried to hold her laughter. "Something like that."

"Maryam!"

Maryam burst out laughing, "I'm sorry, I will just make you Baba's beautiful queen in it."

"Don't forget to buy some of the things from the UK." One development Maryam was glad about, was the upgrade from saying 'Europe' to the UK by her mother. After many weeks and months, she had finally relented.