CHAPTER 12: THE CONFESSION

"That was a mean alley-oop you caught from Ibrahim

"That was a mean alley-oop you caught from Ibrahim. You totally blindsided Hasan, Bugaje." Tyler Meyers said, patting Mubarak's back. 

"Thank you. Hasan had it coming. You did well too." Mubarak said, guzzling down some water from his bottle. 

Bilaal removed the towel that hung from his neck, picking up his duffel bag, "So how are the survival talks going?" He said once they were away from the boys.

Mubarak swiped the remnant of water from his mouth with the back of his hand. "It's a yes, we'll work on it. Let's just hope I live to witness it."

Bilaal chuckled, "Why are you so mean? We'll have you eat your words back in a few short days."

"Like heck you will." Mubarak smacked Bilaal's head.

"Easy there. What? Everyone knows how captivating Maryam is, especially with her 'spoken essays'."

"Bilaal, I still have that mailing address."

"Hey, Bugaje you wanna catch Ocean's Thirteen tonight? It's showing at Barbican." Tyler said coming towards the brothers.

"Sorry Ty, I have to pull in a fast one tonight, got tons of reports waiting for me, let's do that next week."

"Okay see you around." He turned to Bilaal, "B, we took five charges tonight, that was a good game."

Bilaal high fived Tyler before they moved out of the court. 

"So, bros, do we have a date?"

"I don't know, didn't give it a thought, but will be reporting back to Baba tonight, they'll discuss it with Uncle Muhammad and we shall see what will work. Can't believe I'm saying this. But I can't wait for all of this to be over."

Bilaal rose his brows, he knew exactly what his brother was feeling, it got scary to the hilt at first, but he just hoped his brother would find it good at the end, just like he had with Sa'ima.

"I don't envy you. But it will be well in sha Allah." Bilaal said, squinting at the outdoor light.  

"Yeah. Thanks for the boost, Bilaal."

Bilaal chuckled and ducked because he knew what was coming next. 

***

Maryam couldn't wait for Nafeesa's bi-weekly call to come, so she called her. And somehow she couldn't get the excitement out of her voice when she spoke. 

"Yes, you heard it right. Everything has been set in motion."

"What! Sury will kill you when she finds out, she has been waiting to hear this for ages."

"I called her first, I'm not going to risk making him a widower before I set foot in his house, am I?"

Nafeesah chuckled. "Maxy, you are crazy."