Chapter 5: Singing on the Rooftop

"You could have been a little nicer." Comments Tony, almost 12 hours after Fiera left. Making it about 7:00PM.

I grown inwardly. I hear this all the time from Tony, and yet he's still my... friend. My thoughts change as I think, I guess that's what I'd call him. Maybe best friend? Because of curtain events in my past, my goal became to never get close to people, so it's hard to say what Tony is to me. A motto I go by every day is don't get close to people, then you don't get betrayed. I even apply this to Tony, which makes things difficult. The only reason he has the title "best friend" is because he's the only one who knows my past. Well, and my only, and I mean only, "friend."

"Not this again!" I growl. Any time I snapped at someone, Tony would be the first to try and "correct" me.

"Golden, you really didn't have to be cruel to her. All you had to do is stay away. Maybe avoid her like the plaque." Tony criticized sarcastically, then smirked. "Unless there's something more and that's your lame, heartbreaking, sad way of teasing her." Tony attempted to joke. I glare at him through my pitch black sunglasses. He's insinuating I have feelings for her!? Don't even kid, Tony. I think.

"You know exactly what my feelings are towards Fiera. I despise her." Not wanting to hear Tony's nagging and jokes, I stomp towards the stairs. I try to get Tony off my tail as my past threatens to unbury itself. No! Not gonna go there, I threaten the insistent memories.

"Hates a strong word. How about greatly dislike?" Suggests Tony. When I reach the door, I stomp up the couple of stairs and slam the door, ending the conversation. I stand there for the longest time.

Crunch! I look up and realize I punched the wall where the wood is weak. My breath comes in huffs. The memories try to come back. If I remember, I'll feel the pain and the hot tears that once flowed from my eyes. And if I do that, I won't be able to show my face to the others, and I'd be absolutely unbearable to be around. No, you got to get a grip Golden! I lean my head against the wall and squeeze my eyes shut in pain.

Just when I thought I would be a mess on the ground, I stop. I hear an odd sound. Could it be? I lift my head and turn it to look down the hall. Fiera's door is open, I observe. Walking towards the door, the sound becomes louder. Fiera's room comes into view, but no ones there. It dawns on me that the sound is coming from the roof.

The sound gets louder and louder as I climb the stairs to the roof. My curiosity increases with each step. The door comes into reach, as I open it soundlessly, and I peek my head from behind it. With a jolt of shock, I quickly, but quietly, hide behind some nearby air conditioners. Again, peeking my head around, I see its Fiera making the sound. She's singing?

That's when I remember the first time I saw her, close up. It was at this music thing at her school. I didn't pay attention, actually. I was too busy fuming, finding out she's the girl that had caused all those years of trouble.

"So far away from where you are."

"These miles have torn us worlds apart."

"And I miss you, and I wish you where here."

It took me a second, but then I realized she was singing "From Where You Are" by Lifehouse.

Great! She must be one of those types who gets all depressed when there away from their boyfriend for more than twenty-four hours. Or something on the basis of that. Just another thing to add about her to the "Reasons I hate Her" list. I thought.

I close my eyes. I let go of my confined thoughts, letting thoughts slip. Shes pretty good! I open my eyes in horror. Oh no! Not only does people betray me, but now my head. Before I could finish my thought, Fiera stops singing.

What now? I roll my eyes. She starts to talk out loud, voicing her thoughts.

"Hey, Josh...I wonder what your doing. If your situation is as messed up as mine." Fiera laughs humorously. Who's this Josh person? I question. Her boyfriend? I roll my eyes at that thought. Fiera remains quiet for a couple of minutes. I turn to leave, but she starts to talk again.

He notices her voice quiver in an attempt to keep in control. "I don't know what to do! They tell me I'm special. Puh, My entire life I've wanted to be called that. But not special as in a...freak of nature special." She sputters out. "Heck, I don't even think there's even a category for that in the "special" stereotype!"

That's original. I roll my eyes and think sarcastically. I didn't think she was that type.

After a second, it finally runs through my head what she said before. Freak of Nature! I seethe inwardly. Grinding my teeth, I try to bite back from saying what I was thinking out loud. Your the super freak among us freaks of nature, you little-

Suddenly, I hear her sigh. "Actually, I shouldn't call them that. MOST of them are nice people. As far as I know, anyway." She repents. "Derek's sweet, even when I was rude. Leo's a little cutie! And Tony! *laughs* He's hilarious. You can't help but cheese when your around him."

She pauses in thought, then continues again. "Then theirs Golden... He's pretty mean... but I understand his feelings. I did cause the deaths of a lot of his kind. Well, our kind now. I would hate me if I was him, too." Fiera says somberly.

I new it. I ne- Wait! What? Did she just say she understood me?

"Josh. I thought the exact same thing as him. It's my fault those people are...dead." She swallows. Her eyes begin to become puffy.

Wait a minute! Don't say you understand me! Your supposed to be that type that denies what I say. I start to ramble in my head. To be snobby and don't give a care that you being born on this earth caused many to die. Plus, turn their life upside down. Your supposed to not have a care in the world, while the rest of us struggle through hardships! Protesting in disbelief.

"My brother. Josh! I don't know what to do. I miss you and your supporting hugs. The way you tussle my hair, annoying me. And seeing that mischievous grin on your face. Most of all, I miss your strong placement. I'm so lost right now. I-I didn't mean to hurt anyone!" Tears start to spill down her cheeks as she looses control. She lays her head in her hands, and her back heaves with misery and loss.

All I am able to do is stare in shock, and I dare to think the thought; she's the total opposite of how I pictured her.

Though, at that time I would never have let my self do this, better yet think this, but a couple mounts I think back and have the thought; maybe I could have treated her a little ... better.

Later on it becomes dark, and Fiera, at last, falls asleep with a look of pain sketched across her face.

. . . . . .

Warmth reflects onto my face. As my eyes fly open, and I peek through puffy eyelids. The sun blares down on me, giving me a major headache. I close my eyes again. I open them again, after sometime, and see that I'm still on the roof. Why didn't I get cold last night? I think. That's when I sit up and look down.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, almost making my eyebrows into a unibrow. The reason I didn't freeze last night was because someone had covered me in a fluffy, red blanket. In thought, I look at the sunrise, wondering who could have been so kind.

---------Sorry everyone for making you wait. I finally got some time to write. Been REAL busy with school. Haha. Hope you like it!------------