Chapter 9: New Leader

"Can I have your attention." Says Golden to the other boys, trying to get their attention. They don't seem to notice, though. I come up to golden where he is standing by a big rock.

"Try speaking with more confidence." I suggest, as I touch his arm in encouragement. He jumps back as I accidentally shock his arm. Golden smirks at me. I'm not for sure if was for the shock or for my touch in general.

"Why don't you try standing on that rock?" Golden looks at the rock, in thought, and then climbs it. He stands up tall, looking out on everyone.

"Can I have your attention?" He says lamely, with his hands in his pockets. I see irritation flash on his face, as he still doesn't receive the boys' attention.

"CAN I GET YOUR ATTENTION!" Golden yells. I look at him with disapproval, when he looks down at me and frowns. He then rolls his eyes. "Please!" He adds. Much better!

All the boys look to Golden with a hint of shock and as if waking up from a daze. Probably because he's not the type to draw attention, no less. They look up at him with expectancy.

"It's come to my attention-" He looks down at me, indicating the source. I scowl at him. "that we need someone to step up and lead." The boys murmur in agreement and knowingness, though a little reluctant.

"I believe that person should be me." He says smugly. Way to say it lightly, I think sarcastically. The boys yell in protest. One in particular says something about half-blood. I look to Tony.

"What's this about a half-blood?" I ask.

"Well, you see, Golden is considered, what we call, a half-blood. It means he's half human, half mutant. One parent has the mutant genes, one doesn't. Your probably wondering why we would know that, since Golden doesn't tell us anything. It's because Leo was able to sense it, when Golden first came to us." Tony answers.

"Yeah, but why would that be an insult." Tony rubs the back of his neck.

"How do I explain this?" He says more to himself. "They tend to be shunned. It's bad if a mutant marries a human. It's even worse if they have a half-blood child. It's like the mutant is telling the world about us and the child is the proof. It's like betraying us. Also, half-bloods are considered weak, which makes it worse."

It makes me mad, finding this out. People shouldn't be treated meanly just because someone's different. Seeing my look, Tony says.

"The others usually aren't this way. You know that. It's just because of whats happened that their acting this way." I nod and look up at Golden. It's still not right. I know how it feels to be different. At school, everyone always treated me like an outcast. Never bothered to be my friend. Well, except Astrid. I never knew why. Maybe, somehow, they could sense I was a mutant.

"Shut up!" Golden yells. Yep, he's mad! "I don't see anybody else stepping up." Ooo, nice one. Everyone becomes quiet. A guy named Caine, who's an eighth grade, miniature Thor, steps up.

"Then I challenge you to a fight for leadership." He says with a deep voice. Dang, this kid really hit puberty fast. The boys cheer, except for Tony and me. We look at each other with that look Tony and Derek used to do. Great, now I'm doing it.

I look up to Golden. His face is a mask of nothing. No reaction. The only sign of emotion is of his swallow. Is he nervous? I think of what Tony told me.

"I except your challenge." Announces Golden. He's going to get hurt, I think.

Golden climbs down from his perch. Before he heads to the middle of the huge circle that the boys make, I grab his arm. He doesn't shack it off this time. He looks back at me.

"Be careful, ok. Don't get hurt because of something stupid like this." I try to lecture him. I notice this tingling feeling creeping up in me. It travels along my arms to my out stretched fingers, only to be described as power. Golden looks at me and starts frowning. What's that look for? After a second, he shacks his head, and yanks his arm away to head to the middle of he circle.

I frown myself. What was that? Both that feeling and Golden letting me grab his arm. Kyler comes between Golden and Caine.

"Here's the rules. The person who says 'I give' looses, and the other person becomes our leader. There will be no cheating from other people. Powers are legal. Now, 3, 2, 1, go!" Kyler exclaims.

Caine starts to sparkle red sparkles around his hands. Out of thin air, a hammer appears in his hands. Definitely a Thor wannabe. He probably named his hammer Yulneer. Caine sweeps his hammer sideways with super human strength. Golden bends back with amazing flexibility and speed. Stumbling to the side, Caine straightens back up, and looks at Golden in shock. Golden reflects the same facile expression. After a minute, he smiles a devilish smile.

"This is gonna be fun!" He says mischievously. Ahh, maybe I should be more concerned for Caine. Golden's hands start to glow with golden light like the night he saved me. He strides forward, turns, and throws a fast ball of light. Caine changes his hammer into a shield, barley avoiding getting hit. All of a sudden, Golden kicks it into high gear, throwing and weaving light relentlessly. Barley blocking his attacks, Caine stumbles backwards, making the crowd open up. He stumbles one more time, and Golden just appears behind, holding his light to Caine's neck.

"Say it!" Whispers Golden in Caine's ear. With a growl, he says, "I give." Golden releases him.

Everyone gaps at Golden, with mouths wide open. He did it! I smile.

Getting out if his shock, Kyler announces, "The... the winner is Golden. He's our new leader." The boys start whispering. Golden looks at them. Maybe it was just me, but I swear I see a flash of doubt on his face. He looks over at Tony and me. I smile and Tony gives him a thumbs up. Taking this as a good sign, Golden looks at the boys and starts to speak.

"Ok. Here's whats gonna happen. I need four people to scout the area around the house and report back." Four boys head into the trees. "When they say the coast is clear, I need Kyler to 'carry' Derek to the house. Caine, I'll need you to make a couple of shovels, so we can start digging a grave. While two people do that, I need someone to make a grave stone or marker. Everyone else will go through the house and search for anything useful."

The group nods their heads. When the scouts arrive back, we head to the house. Derek was right about Golden. He is a leader. It just took some convincing.

We arrive at the house and set to work. Everyone works hard, and I swell up with pride. After a couple of hours, we finish everything. We then bury Derek and have a funeral. Words are spoken and tears are shed. Faces puffy and sadness ablaze. We say our goodbyes to our former leader. Our family member.

Later that day, Golden checks our supplies. He looks grimly at the ground of items.

"What up?" I say, with Tony at my side.

"We don't have enough supplies, and we can't buy anymore food or materials because all our money was in that house." I think about this.

"I have an idea." I say with a grin.

Golden and Tony look at each other with apprehension. I just smile and tell them the plan.