Sisters 2

She is putting on her lipstick when she hears a car horn blow outside their gate. She looks at the time, it's 2:20pm. "Hindi siguro traffic." She says and grabs her bag to run downstairs.

She started getting ready for her date with her Ate Meng right after brunch. She wanted to be ready to go as soon as she arrives to avoid any awkward moments, in case a surprise decides to show up. She knows that Maine would arrive on time if not earlier because she is almost never late for anything. "Kung may award nga sa pagiging on time lagi, kulang ang three-storey na mansiyon para sa mga trophies niya," her Kuya RJ used to joke.

Her Ate Maine values time and she values other people's time. She considers it a most precious commodity and is also one of the key reasons why she and RJ had difficulties making things work between them.

"Mas okay na to. Walang pressure." She told RJ that day when they made that crucial decision. "You wouldn't have to try too hard to make time for us, di ka na mas-stress juggling between me and your work. Di na rin ako mage-expect. We wouldn't fight over it anymore."

It was the most difficult decision they ever had to do in their lives but they agreed on it, still holding on to the love they have for each other and hoping that one day, God will let them have another chance to be together and continue living a life with the dreams they built together over the past three years.

Riza reaches the front door and is about to open it when it swings open. She jumps back seeing who came in.

"Kuya!" She gasps. "Anong ginagawa mo dito?"

RJ looks at his sister like she was some deranged woman. "Uhm. Bahay ko to?"

"Kuya naman. Alam ko yun pero di ba kaka-land lang ng flight mo from Hong Kong? Di ba sa condo ka muna or naghatid kay Mama Ten or kay Kuya Sam? Bakit andito ka agad?"

"Riz, una sa lahat. Ang dami mong tanong. Daig ko pa ang na-report sa barangay. Pangalawa, alam mong pag galing akong abroad dito ako tumutuloy dahil iiwan ko na ang mga pinamili ko para sa inyo. Pangatlo, si Mama Ten sinundo ng pamangkin niya at pang-apat, bakit ko naman ihahatid si Leysam? May kotse naman yun." He shakes his head then suspiciously looks at his sister who has been uncomfortably shifting her weight from one foot to another.

Riza looks at her watch and over his shoulder to the driveway. "May date ka?" He asks.

"Parang ganoon." She answers.

"Teka nga." He frowns at her. Five minutes na akong nakatayo dito. Wala man lang bang hug at kiss? Wala man lang Welcome home, Kuya. Na-miss kita, Kuya. Pasalubong ko, Kuya?"

"Ay." She quickly hugs her big brother. "Welcome home, Kuya. Na-miss kita, Kuya. Pasalubong ko, Kuya?" She says.

"Galing ah. Verbatim. Pwede ka nang mag-artista. Magaling kang sumunod sa script." He chuckles as he gently squeezes his little sister and kisses the top of her head.

"Kuya, pasok ka na sa loob. Siguradong matutuwa si Lola na nandito ka na. Dali. Go." She tells him, slightly pushing him inside the house after their hug.

"Oo. Kunin ko lang yung bagahe ko at nandun lahat ng pasalubong nila. Ano bang nangyayari sa'yo?" He turns around and faces her then squints his eyes. He's now facing the door while she looks up at him. "Bakit parang pinagtatabuyan mo ako? Excited ka sa date mo? Takot ka pa rin bang magka-abot kami ng jowa mo eh ilang beses ko na nakita yung mokong na yun."

"Hindi, Kuya. Hindi ganoon yun."

"Sige. Aber. Bakit?" He crosses his arms, looking at his sister sternly, standing in a position that tells her he's not going anywhere until she explains herself and he accepts her explanation.

"Ahhh... Ano kasi, Kuya..." She looks down and plays with the hem of her shirt. A move that tells him she's keeping something from him and she's hesitant to tell him about it.

"Riza Mary Christine Faulkerson, buntis ka ba?"

"Kuya!!! Oh my god ka! Hindi!!!" She gasps.

"Eh ano lang? Bakit mukha kang pusang di matae diyan?"

"Kasi nga, Kuya... Hindi ko alam kung anong magiging reaction pag nalaman mo na..." Her explanation is cut short when a soft voice calls from the slightly ajar door.

"Riz? Tao po." The familiar velvety voice calls as the door is gently pushed further.

He quickly turns his gaze to the door and all the world including his sister who he was confronting one second ago seem lost. His entire being zones in to the voice that he would know anywhere and it's owner.

"Meng?" He gapes as she appears through the gap between the doors, a halo-like blanket of the afternoon sunlight wrapping her ethereal figure. Once again, for the gazillionth time, she takes his breath away.

Her eyes that were searching for Riza found him instead. Surprised, a soft and shy smile slowly draws on her face. "RJ? Hi. Andito ka na pala? Di ka naman nagsabi na ngayon na ang uwi mo. I'm here para sunduin si Riza. Pinapasok na ako nina Mama Virgie, I hope you don't mind na tumuloy na lang ako. Di man lang ako nag-doorb..."

To her shock and to Riza's giddy surprise, RJ launches forward and wraps her in his arms, holding her close to him in a tight hug, cutting her rambling short.

He buries his face on the crook of her neck and she thinks her breath was going to get knocked out of her when she feels his lips softly move against her skin when he whispers. "No need to explain. I'm glad you're here. I miss you so much, Maine."

To be continued...

***
Unbeta'ed and not proofread. Lam niyo na yun. Hahahahaha

Also, mas humaba siya that what I planned so isa pa? 😁

Thank you for reading.