The Victor

For Mingming ☺️

***

There she is with her bright brown eyes and megawatt smile. She turns the music up in the car and sings along to it. Her melodious voice now fills the space we are in.

Tonight, she insists on driving us somewhere. I don't know where. It's a random midnight road trip kinda night. She has these moods and I go along with them. After all, she is the girl anyone would do everything and anything for.

We've been seeing each other for months now, dining out, hanging around, going on trips, partying, playing, but I have yet to know her, the real her behind the million dollar smile and face that phenomenally captivated multitudes of people. I'm still trying to figure her out. After all this time, she's still a mystery to me.

Yes. She is that girl. The girl that everyone covets. The one whom many men could only wish of being with and right now, I am the lucky guy who has her attention. This is it. Right here, every man's dream sitting next to me. I am the victor.

I am basking in that triumph as I listen to her belt out the chorus of Sugar by Maroon 5 and about to join her when she stops singing. I turn to her and find that her eyes are not on the road anymore. They are looking up to a billboard beside the road.

She quietly stares at his face for a few seconds as if memorizing each curve and line of his gentle features. She sighs as a little smile draws on her lips and a spark twinkles in her eyes.

"Are you tired? You want me to drive." I call her attention because it's clear that she was lost in his smile.

"Huh?" She looks at me and right before my eyes, I see the sparks in those beautiful orbs burn out like a flame doused with cold water. "No. I'm okay."

She flashes her famous grin to me, the one she has given to hundreds of thousands but never the smile she has for him. The one he only gets to have and see.

She starts singing again and focuses back on the road.

Then I am reminded once again of how I will always live in the shadow of her greatest love, that I may never share with her the kind of love that they had.

If I could never have even half of what she gave him, am I the real winner?