Chapter Twenty-Nine

Hello all my wonderful readers! Now, this chapter, I will admit, is kind of boring, but it packs a lot of important information that is moving the plot along. I did add a little bit of fluff at the end though, it's just a given. Anyway, enjoy!

I stared, dumbfounded, at the man in front of me. Are you kidding me? This is the paladin? He looks like the kind of guy that cares more about his choice in clothes than anything else. Despite my thoughts, I remembered Mephisto's number one piece of advice; be polite.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, sir," I said bowing slightly. I wasn't very girly and I didn't know how to curtsey to save my life. I had been giving bows instead of curtsies since I started doing piano recitals when I was five.

"Please, none of that," the blonde in front of me said. I was surprised when he took my right hand in his left one. At first, I thought he was going to shake it, but instead, he brought my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it lightly. It was took all of my will power not to make a face. "The pleasure is all mine," he said, a slight twinkle in his eye. He straightened up and clasped his hands behind his back. "Now, we really must get this meeting underway. Please, follow me," he said before turning and leading the way down the extensive hall.

I glared at Mephisto's back as we walked. What the hell, Mephisto? You couldn't think to warn me that this meeting would be with the paladin of all people! I can understand a few senior exorcists but why the highest ranking one of all? Is this case really getting that extreme? What interest does Angel have in all of this? I shook off those thoughts and continued to follow the other exorcists down the hall.

Soon enough, we reached a door that one of the exorcists opened. He held it open for Angel to enter, but the blonde man turned to me instead. "Please, ladies first." I hesitated but remembered Mephisto's word. I thanked him and gave him a small smile before entering the room. The room was a large conference room with a large, plain table in the middle, wooden chairs on every side. It was simple but would do the job.

The other exorcists quickly filed into the room and took their seats. I remained standing unsure of what to do. Mephisto quickly signaled for me and I took the seat next to him near the head of the table. Surprisingly, Angel was the last one of enter the room. He did not take his seat at the head of the table, instead choosing this stand his his hands on the back his chair.

"Thank you all for coming," he said in a breath, that ever flawless smile on his face. I could now understand why Mephisto told me to be polite, but it was going to be hard. "And thank you, (Y/N), for agreeing to speak with us on such short notice." I nodded, not sure of what else to say. Everyone in this room was so intimidating, and I could feel myself start to fidget and pull myself back into my shy shell. "I understand that you were not completely informed on the topic of his meeting," he continued, and I nodded in confirmation. "Well, I also understand that there was an exorcist sent to you while you were in the hospital, is that correct?" I nodded. This was starting to feel like an interrogation. "We just wanted to ask some more in depth questions now that we have more information on the case."

"I was told I would be kept up to date on things concerning the case," I told him slowly, concerned that they were keeping information from me.

"Of course, of course. Don't worry. That's actually why we called you here. We're not keeping anything from you," the paladin assured me quickly. I nodded, but I wasn't entirely convinced. "We have actually uncovered the identity of the man who attacked you," he said, cutting right to the chase. I leaned forward in my seat a little bit.

"Really?" I gasped slightly. "Who was it?" A file was placed in front of me, and I looked up at Angel for permission to open it. I hesitantly opened up the file, slightly anxious for some reason.