Chapter Sixty

Haha, so I definitely didn't plan on making this chapter this long, but here we are anyway. I hope you like it! Let me know if you did by a comment and/or vote! Enjoy!!!

Bon's POV

The steady beating of the heart monitor positioned at the head of the bed was now a background noise after having spent nearly five hours almost every day for three months and seventeen days. The sound of the ventilator and all the other monitors and machines were familiar noises at that point, and the thought caused my stomach to churn uncomfortably. Every day, I brought my school work to her hospital room, sometimes sitting by as Tobias stared out the window, sometimes watching as Cole (L/N) paced at the end of the bed, sometimes playing mindless card games with Rin, Shima, and Koneko.

In the days since the final battle, everything had been in shambles. We had all been in a panicked mess when we found (Y/N) on the roof of True Cross after a huge explosion sounded from the top of the school. After that, I, as well as Shura and (Y/N)'s family had rushed to the rooftop where Mephisto was already tending to the unconscious girl. I had been horrified when I saw my girlfriend covered in blood, some her own and some foreign. The headmaster had wasted no time getting (Y/N) to the best hospital in the area. Thankfully, it was only a few blocks from the school.

We had been camped out in the waiting room of the hospital, Cole trying to console a sobbing wife as well as son as silent tears slipped down his cheeks, for over 24 hours. Nurses and other hospital staff all tried to get us to go home, to get some rest in an actual bed, but none of us could bring ourselves to leave the solemn waiting room. For the first half of our stay, everytime a doctor entered the room, we would all look up expectantly, Cole and I even going as far as standing, but the doctor would always turn to another waiting family, delivering news that could either brighten or ruin their day. After the 14th hour of waiting, we had stopped being so hopeful. But no news was good news, right? Wasn't that how the saying went?

When a middle aged doctor with peppery hair entered the waiting room and finally approached our group, Cole immediately stood up to greet the man, a more than hopeful look on his face. The doctor removed his glasses before speaking. The gesture made my heart clench in fear.

"We managed to get Miss (L/N) to a stable condition," the man began, and I sagged in relief, tears beginning to pour down my cheeks at his words. I almost collapsed out of my chair, the only thing keeping me in my seat being Koneko's steadying hands as he whispered quiet words to me. I listened intently as the doctor continued. "Now, (Y/N) is still in very critical condition and will need to fight if she wants to recover." He paused for a moment before continuing. "We lost her once on the table, but we were able to get her heart started very quickly." My breath hitched in my throat as I listened to the doctor's words. "However," he began again. I felt myself pale, not sure if I could take any more bad news. "(Y/N) has fallen into a coma, and we have done everything we can at the moment. She has been placed on a ventilator as her body is exhausted, and the next 24 hours is up to her."

I almost threw up at his words. There was no promising that she would ever wake up. She was awake, but trapped, unable to communicate. I didn't know if this was better than death or not. She was right there, right in front of me, but still so far away, just out of reach. I barely heard Cole asked if he could see her. I looked up, waiting for the doctor's response.

"She is being moved to a room in the ICU as we speak, so I will send down a nurse when she is settled. Seeing as she is still in critical condition and in the ICU, I only want two visitors at a time right now. We don't know how much a coma patient hears or takes in, and I don't want to overwhelm her right now. A nurse will be down to get two of you when (Y/N) is settled," the doctor informed us before shaking hands with Cole and finally retreating from the waiting room.