Chapter Thirty-One

I was getting ready to post this and I couldn't even remember what it was about and then I'm like....wow. Get ready for lots of information. I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Note:
Hii-obaasan - great grandmother
Idaina Sofu - great grandfather

When I awoke the next day, I found my brother gone, his side of the bed cold. I rolled over and glanced at the alarm clock to see that it was already around 10:30. I sat up and stretched slightly. I reluctantly got out of bed and padded down the stairs to the kitchen. I could here my father's voice and one side of the conversation.

As I entered the kitchen, I saw that he was leaning against the counter, talking on the phone. I sat at the bar across from my father. He had his head in one hand, running it through his hair every once a while as he spoke. He glanced up and whispered 'good morning' as he pulled the phone away from his mouth for a second and continued to listen to the person on the other end of the line.

"Uh, alright. Thank you for letting me know. I'll try to get in there today. Thanks, good bye," he said before hanging up. I frowned and cocked my head a little.

"Who was that?" I asked, folding my hands in front of me on the counter.

"Hospital," he said. My frown deepened. "It's about your great grandma," he explained, leaning into the adjacent counter. "You know hows she's been," he said, throwing his hands around a little. I did understand. She was old, almost a hundred, and she was a little...crazy, for lack of a better word. She had begun to get that way after her husband died, apparently. I was little when he passed away.

When her health had begun to decline, we had no choice to send her to the hospital where they were taking good care of her. She liked her nurses and her doctor, and she especially appreciated the service dogs that they would occasionally bring around to the room. "Well, her health has been declining again as well as her mental state. Apparently, she went days without speaking and then started muttering about your great grandfather and his 'demon swords' as she called them." My eyes widened at his words. "I think we both know what that means," he said slowly, and I nodded.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked.

"What's the plan for what?" I turned to see Tobias walking into the room, yawning and rubbing his eyes. Dad quickly repeated the information to my brother.

"Oh," he said with a slight nod of his head. We both turned to my dad, waiting for his idea. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair and then down his face, successfully making his already wild hair even worse.

"How do you feel about going in to see your great grandmother?" he asked carefully. "We all know what's going on, and I think you should go." I nodded, though a little hesitantly. I loved my great grandmother, but she was a little unnerving if I were to be completely honest.

"Yeah, I'll go," I agreed. "Just have to go get ready."

"Okay, take your time," he said, patting my shoulder. I nodded and headed back up the stairs to get ready for the day.

{Line Break}

"You have visitors, Kyoko!" the peppy nurse exclaimed as she led us in the room. My great grandmother was sitting up in her bed, propped up against a multitude of pillows, simply looking out the window at the bright blue sky outside. She was continuously running her bony hands over an ornate but small wooden chest that rested on her lap.

"Hi, Hii-obaasan," Tobias greeted. I followed suit, though significantly quieter. At the sound of my voice, she turned and looked at me, her hands ceasing their rhythmic movements. I froze as her gaze held mine. There was something unnerving about her eyes. She slowly patted the bed beside her, and I knew she was beckoning for me. I slowly approached the bed and sat carefully. She's crooked her finger at me, telling me to come closer.