Who am I to you?

Life at the Shenko's mansion was life. The kind of life I hadn't been given in my lifetime. I wasn't always a homeless street kid or squatter. There had been a time in my life when I had a full family, a roof over my head, food on my table, warm cloths on my skin, laughter in my home, and money in my wallet. But then, from one day to another, in the blink of an eye, everything came crumbling down. I couldn't understand why or how, but things changed drastically for everyone around me. I lost my family, my home, my dreams, my friends, my hopes and aspirations; everything evaporated just like that. I had no idea how hard things were about to get for me.

Being in Jared Shenko's house reminded me of all I had forgotten about; like what having a good home cooked meal on the table felt and looked like.

Did I say a meal?

No!

They were like ten different stuff on this table and it was only still breakfast. Mr. Shenko sat at the head of the table; very poised, like a king and his wife, like one of these British girls that are raised with perfect ladylike manners. I found myself stupidly imagining an older woman at the table telling her 'no slouching at the table dear'.

I decided to settle myself at the other end of the table, and tried not to make contacts. The food smelled like heaven and I wanted to enjoy it.

"Good morning Maraïda!" Jared's greetings took me off ny suprise. He stared, looking straight at me. I was confused.

Hadn't I just seen him like minutes ago?

"Weren't you in my room like ten minutes ago? Or is it like a traditional thing here for two times greetings in one morning?"

"You know you could just say good morning back right?" Mrs. Shenko cut in. Rubbing her perfectly manicured hands together. She turned her gaze to me.

Suddenly I was feeling super conscious of myself. They looked like they were ready for a party or a formal invent or something. I was dressed in a black T-shirt and denim shorts.

"No! I didn't! I wasn't raised to take two greetings in one morning from the same person." I shot right back at Sophia. For some reason I felt a bundle of nerves digging through my system. There were this melancholic memories that flashed through my mind. The divine smell of the food was beginning to fade and I really, really wanted to enjoy it.

"This is my wife, Sophia, and I trust you are going to address her with the same respect as me in my absence?"

"I don't even respect you so, not making any promises. " I sassed back while stacking my plate with some bacon, and eggs and a PB&J sandwich, and pancakes; I even added some avocado salad to all of that. I was starving and craving for everything on that table. I couldn't raise my head to look at them but I could imagine Mr. Shenko and his wife staring at me and wondering; 'what kind of unrefined forest did this bear come from?'

Well, the kind that hasn't had food for days and then boom! There's a all-you-can-eat buffet.

"Isn't this weird for you Mrs. Shenko?" I was supposed to just shut up and eat my food but my brain, mouth and lungs started following their own direction. I asked her this as I filled my sandwich with more peanut butter.

"Just call me Sophia please!" She sipped her coffee, "and what do you mean by that?"

"I mean you and me sitting here. You, his wife; then there's me, his..." I paused for a second not knowing what I actually was to him. Then I redirected my attention to Mr. Shenko, "What am I to you Mr. Shenko? And please don't say a fucking one night stand bitch. You might get a fuck plugged into your eyeballs after."

He barely lifted his head up from the paper he had been using as an excuse to not make direct eye contact, when his wife answered for him,

"His surrogate! You are only his surrogate. I suppose you know what that is,"

I did! But I didn't like the sound of it.

"OK," I bit a mouth full of my sandwich, with some of the peanut butter smearing on my left cheek. I caught Mr. Shenko swallowing down a chuckle at my messy manners, but I continued talking anyway, and with my mouth full,

"But aren't surrogates like supposed to carry children that are from both personas of the couple? But in this case, Mr. Shenko here is the only parent involved. And that don't make me still a surrogate, does it? So Mr. Shenko, what am I to you?"

"My surrogate Maraïda! As Sophia said, and that is it."

I felt something unpleasant, a raw feeling, like a storm was coming. I could taste a bitter liquid at the back of my throat; I could feel my breakfast regurgitating back up and I almost threw up at the spot. As more of the bile liquid came up and I knew what would be next. Mr. Shenko must have noticed my change of mood to have asked,

"Are you OK Maraïda?" This drew the attention of his wife to me too.

The few bites I had swallowed were slowly coming back up and the room I slept in was way too far for me to start running up to its bathroom,

"Where's the powder room?" Immediately I finished asking I felt the first drop of the rain storm that followed. I immediately ran myself to a nearby potted plant and emptied my breakfast there. I don't even remember when Mr. Shenko had caught hold of me from completely slumping to the ground. I felt so weak and saw stars, and about ten or twenty of him and his wife. With his help, I got back up on my feet only to count the number of dark spots that clouded my vision before fainting again.

Up top is a picture of Loren Gray because she's kind of how I picture Maraïda.

Votes👐