Promises Made

Jared's POV

"Strangely enough, everything is perfectly fine. They're both OK." Dr. Seuss told me, "I say strangely because, with the amount of blood I saw, I wasn't sure she or the baby would make it. I'm not even sure how to explain all this. She doesn't seem to have bled from her vaginal area. But then again I'm only human, I might have made a wrong observation. Bottom line is they're both fine. She'll just need to rest a lot more now."

"Honestly Andrew, I just need to know they're both fine. You cannot just imagine the mess I'm deep in right now. I'm just glad they're OK. That takes a weight off my shoulders, and I want to thank.." I was about to throw deepest appreciation out at Dr. Seuss when a nurse ran into the office, looking agitated,

"Dr.! It's the patient in 220. She's having a panicked attack again. It's bad."

"Maraïda?" I wondered. My heart hammered against my ribcage so hard, the thumping sounded like a drum in a carnival band.

"Let's go!" Andrew ordered. He practically ran out of the office, with me closely behind, on the same pace.

As we closed up to the room, I could hear her crying, pleading for help, calling out to her father and Marina.

Who was Marina? I wondered. It had been the exact same names she'd been calling the first time. Before, during the storms, she would call to Marisa: I only ever heard her call Marisa. Although I had no idea who this persons were, I was sure they were close to her and in someway or another might have contributed to her mental state then.

"Maraïda? Maraïda! I'm here now! Hush! It's going to be OK."

"Stop! Stop it! Please Daddy! Marina!!!" She cried in pain. I could feel the agony in her voice. Tears rolled that her closed eyes; it kinda hurt me too; just seeing her in that state sent an unbearable ache to my heart.

"It is another panic attack. Probably from another dream again or the same one. We cannot continue seating her Jared! It's not healthy for her condition." Andrew turned towards me.

"What? So what am I supposed to do? You are the doctor! Why are you telling me?"

"You need to get to her! At this point, she needs emotional care more than medical care. Try talking to her. Reach out to her,"

Just on cue, I started talking to her,

"Maraïda! Wake up Maraïda! I'm here now. Please wake up," I told her, soothingly patting her soft hair; rubbing my thumb across the flesh of her palm. She calmed down a little, still mumbling painfully to herself but not as agitated as before.

"Jared! Jared! Please don't leave me too! Please!" She muttered in her sleep. I was a little taken aback but not surprised. She needed someone and I was the closest person to her at that moment.

"I can never leave you Maraïda. Never!" I assured her as she finally dozed off peacefully, as if she hadn't almost just given herself a seizure.

Right then I knew, that even if I tried, I could never leave her. At least not in that state. She had become an obligation to me and by all means, my responsibility. More than that, she had become a part of me, my life and my family.

I could not move away; I could barely stay away from her while she was sedated. I stayed with her until I fell asleep myself.

I was awoken by the loud sound of something crashing to the floor. I was very sleepy but I quickly came to my senses, searching for whatever had been broken,

"What happened?" I asked, "No! Don't come down, just stay in your bed, you might hurt yourself. I'll clean this up." I told her as she tried climbing down the bed, weakly supporting herself on the nightstand. A glass of water had fallen from it and shattered to a million pieces.

"But I need to use the rest room," she answered in a croaky, weary tone.

"Hold on, I'll carry you there,"

"No. Don't worry! I'll be fine. You should go back to sleep. I'll go alone,"

"But you could hurt yourself,"

"Then let me! Just let me do it Jared! I'm tired already! I can't even control it anymore!" She yelled at me, half sobbing. Tears flowed down her cheeks,

"What the hell is wrong with you Maraïda? Why are you bent on torturing me? Why are you trying to ruin me? What else do you want from me? I am doing everything I can here; how can you not see that? Why do you hate me this much?"

"Then why are you still here? Why are you still here Jared? Why are you still here if all I bring to you is pain? Why are you still here if I am ruining your life? Why are you still here Jared?"

"Because that baby is all I have left. I already lost Sophia. I can't lose my baby too," something hurt and it wasn't my throat, from all that shouting; it was my heart. I felt my heart ache and a sharp pain shot through it making my lungs go numb for about ten seconds. For one, I knew it wasn't a heart attack. I was as healthy as a horse: regular check ups, healthy living, workouts and stuff. I couldn't understand myself the hurt I felt. It was like physical and emotional pain, all joint together. "Maraïda please! Please have pity on me and help me here! I can not get through this without you."

"How can I help you Jared? I can't even understand my own mind. I hear voices when they're not there. I stand in a crowd but feel so lonely. Half of the time I'm conscious, I'm out of my mind! How do you expect me to help you." She cried, falling back into the bed.

"Help me, so I can help you! Please!" I dropped to my knees in front of her. She sat on the bed, her legs daggling from its edges.

"What if I'm not strong enough?"

"Then I'll be here, right by your side, to hold you if you fall," I covered her small hands with mine.

"You promise Jared! You'll never leave me!"

"Never. I promise you that Maraïda; on my life." I brought her hand to my heart. It was quite a risky promise, I know, but I was ready to break any boundaries for my child.