Busted!!! (I)

Jared's POV

They were already a good number of questions running through my mind while I drove through the gates of the house. That Joseph guy had set my already disrupted peace of mind in absolute chaos. Maraïda was already eight months in and I wasn't ready for anything or anyone that could jeopardize her health; mentally or physically. My daughter's life mattered more to me than anything. I was not about to jeopardize it for something that might not even matter.

I had just pulled up in the driveway when three maids rushed out to take the bags, I helped Maraïda out,

"Aren't you coming?" She asked,

"Go on ahead, I'll make a call first. Help her in would you?" I motion one of the maids. Once they'd disappeared behind the doors, I brought my phone and a card, tapped on the numbers, he picked up after two rings,

"Mr. Shenko! I've been waiting for your call,"

"You still got that file on the girl I had you do a background check on?"

"Told you you were gonna need it someday. I never throw anything out."

"Yeah, yeah Karl! Now, tell me this, is there possibly anything in there about a certain Joseph? I don't know his last name,"

"I, I think so. Give me a sec, lemme check." A few seconds of tensed silence passed by, with sounds of papers being ruffled around the place.

"I haven't got all day Karl," I pinched the bridge of my nose in annoyance. The sun was overhead and I was standing right under it,

"Chill man! If you had taken the file like I had told you too before, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I got it. Now, about that Joseph: Joseph Aguilar, 20, honour student at Stanford university, majors in engineering, lives with sister, sponsored by mother, relationship with subject; ex boyfriend. That's all I got."

"Ex boyfriend? Maraïda never told me about a boyfriend in her life?"

"Listen man, I think it's high time you read this file. You asked me to investigate your surrogate, I did. You didn't want to collect the file because you thought you already knew everything about her that you needed to know. Guess you don't know that much."

"Yeah. I don't."

"I'll be in my office till seven. You still got that chance. I'll be waiting."

Karl was the private investigator I had hired to look into Maraïda's past for me. That was when she was being stuck up with me and being all besties with Sophia. When I had finally gotten to talk to her about it, I realised I no longer needed to know anything more about her past since bringing it up gave her a break down every time. Now I wanted to know every possible detail. I needed that file. I jumped back into the car and drove off.

Something was fishy and I was going to get to the bottom of it.

................

If they had been questions running through my mind before, they were more now. After I met up with Karl and collected Maraïda's file, read through, I understood a lot about her. Yes, she had suffered a lot. Her father was an alcoholic who physically abused his entire family. He sexually assaulted his elder daughter, Marina, after his wife Marisa died of sickle cell anaemia; Marina killed her father when he attempted the same assault on her younger sister Maraïda; they both ran away afterwards. Not long after, Marina found out she was pregnant for her father, and was been chased by the police. She did a good job in hiding from them till she died in child birth, leaving her daughter to her fourteen years old sister. That was a hard life she'd had to go through. She raised the kid in hiding from social services for four good years, until the child got sick, the reason why we met; she needed money for the young Marisa's treatment. But by the time she had gotten the money and gotten there, the girl had already passed on. The reason Maraïda and I had met that night was for sacrifice. She wasn't a prostitute like I had first imagined. It explains why she'd gotten pregnant. Most of those girls were on birth control and there his no chance of pregnancies.

As much I felt sorry for the poor Maraïda, one thought couldn't stop haunting my mind; during that period of Maraïda's life, before she lost her niece, I thought there was just one person in her life and that was Issa. But they'd been two of them; Joseph, her boyfriend, being the other. I never ever even thought about questioning the paternity of the child she was carrying. I always had assumed I was the only one. Turned out, I was never. Karl had outdone himself. He had even gotten to the point of their sexual life together: right to the last day they had sex; which was a couple of days before the first night we met

I always thought I was undoubtedly the father of the child she was carrying. I never doubted that fact. Maybe it was as a result of the fact that she had presented me with an opportunity to be a father, something I thought I could never be in my life again.

Now I had a reason to ask for a paternity test. I wanted a child of my own but I wasn't desperate enough to accept one that wasn't mine. I had already sacrificed so much! I was willing to sacrifice more, anything and everything for my daughter: my wife was gone, my life was a mess, my ideas were all over the place; and it turns out the reason for which I did all this might all be in vein. The baby might not even be mine.

The thought ached in my head but I still kept my hopes up. I still prayed silently as I drove back home, that Maraïda's baby, was my baby.