Chapter 1

One and a half years ago;

The numerous times Iliana sat in the alcove behind the glass window in the middle of the night, were the times when she pondered over the life she was leading. The things she'd been through in her young life wasn't how every sixteen-year-old would've lived. To be honest, no one of any age would ever know or even believe the things she had gone through.

The night was cold... yet Iliana felt comfortable inside her moonlit bedroom with a soft blanket over her small frame. Her ice-blue eyes gazed up at the scintillating stars surrounding the full moon. She leant back against the wall behind her. Her eyes lowered to the line of silhouetted trees beyond the wooden fence in the back garden. In between the thick tree trunks, she saw the moonlight dancing across the surface of the running waters of River Plankins. The palm of her hands tingled at the water's presence, resembling mild pins and needles. Once again, her thoughts drifted back to the time when the secrets of the Unknown World were revealed to her. However, those thoughts were instantly broken by the sound of loud bear-like growls.

She jolted upright, it was a sound all too familiar to her. It reverberated within her ears and travelled through every nerve in her body. Fear immediately knocked at her soul. Her heart began to pound hard and fast. Her head turned to her bedroom door as if expecting to hear the awakening sounds of Mother and Father. She imagined their hastened footsteps from their room further down the hall, or their panicked voices discussing where or whom such ice-cold sounds would've belonged to. But no, they would never hear them, see or even feel their presence. In fact... no one ever does, apart from Iliana and Yuki.

Another rumble of growls rode along with winter's mild wind that whistled past the window panels. Iliana closed her eyes hoping those sounds would disappear and be gone for good, although she knew otherwise... there was no harm in trying. She drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

'I'm not going to do it anymore.' That was what she told herself a few nights back.

She no longer wanted to be a part of that world. She wanted to stop fighting and have the normal life of a teenager. She reopened her eyes. The pile of boxes stacked up by her unslept bed was the first thing her eyes settled on. For quite some time Mother vacillated between two job opportunities and had finally made a decision. Tomorrow, they were to move to Edinburgh. It was the perfect timing for a fresh start. Iliana was going to ignore the Unknown World.

The growls became louder. She turned back to the window.

'It's near...'

The tingling sensation intensified. The streaming waters of River Plankins caught her attention again, it was calling her and waiting for her command. She felt every movement of the water as it travelled in haste behind the back garden, and through the town set on the outskirts of London.

'Someone needs your help. Someone needs you.' Came a voice from beyond her mind.

It was always the reason which defied all factors fuelling her fears, and prevented her from cowering away from her moral obligations to the world and the Unknown. The habitual rush of impulse violently stirred within her. A deep sigh escaped from her parted lips as her heart and mind fought one another... until her heart won the inner battle. This would have to be the last fight she'd ever do.

Pulling aside the blanket, she forced herself to a stance. She threw off her pyjamas, slipped into her dark jeans and plain top before zipping up a thick cardigan and snuggling her feet into her trusted white plimsolls. She sneaked down the stairs and into the kitchen. A wolf like silhouette stood regimentally behind the glass back door, it was growling continuously under its breath. Iliana crouched by the side of the big dog. Her hand delved into the thick, creamy white fur and caressed its back. The dog turned its head to her as if acknowledging her presence.