Chapter 10

Crepuscular rays streamed through the gaps in the clouds as the sun ascended from the horizon, unleashing a wondrous array of warm colours across the dawning sky. Watching nature's phenomenal exhibition was an awarding interlude after half an hour of practising her control and concentration with her Gift. Without her consent, memories of last night began to invade Iliana's thoughts and her aching body was an added reminder. She was actually glad Mother and Father weren't home last night to witness her battered state. Not only was she bruised and grazed, she was exhausted... especially after she'd used her Gift. Even now, she felt deprived of vitality after her practise.

She looked up to the spectacular sky. 'Fallen Angels'... she'd briefly read about them in the past when her enthusiasm to learn about Religious affairs were spirited. Angels who had rebelled against the Almighty were now appearing here on Earth... if someone had told her about that in the past, she would've laughed in their face.

'The Connection has occurred... Your trial has only just begun...'

She shivered as the voice from the male figure echoed in her mind. There was a deeper meaning behind his words, a meaning she couldn't decipher. She balled her hands together in front of her. She had to take one step at a time and deal with each matter accordingly.

She drew in a deep inhalation of the fresh sea air as she outstretched her arms. Her eyes lowered to the depths of the sea water below her bare feet, it reminded her of the same vision that visited her dreams more frequently than ever before. She shook off the vivid images and proceeded a light jog across the surface of the sea.

For over a year, the Gift of water felt like a curse which couldn't be shifted or forgotten, but this morning... it felt like a gift once again. She caused bigger splashes as her light jog became a sprint. The bottom part of her jeans was soaking wet and the cool sea water chilled her to the bone, but it didn't wipe the content smile from her face. She couldn't help but wonder, how a normal human being would react if they could see her running on water.

Iliana saw Yuki's distinctive white coat as she slowed down her approach to the harbour. Her companion had seated herself at the end of the stone jetty with the lead in her mouth, just where she'd left her however, there was someone sitting beside her.

'Kazuki.'

She caught his eye when she strode around the jetty. He had that same indecipherable expression he seemed to permanently wear, yet those cornflower blue eyes painted a different picture... this time there was a sprinkle of surprise.

"Someone is an early bird for a Sunday morning..." She commented, tearing her focus from him as she walked briskly towards the yacht, with Yuki paralleling her direction on the jetty.

"Obviously, I'm not the only one." She heard him respond in low voice.

Iliana checked her surroundings in case there was anyone else roaming the area, before she jumped up onto the swim platform behind the one and only yacht left in the harbour.

She wiped a hand over the vine of water snaking her forearm and wrist, it instantly released itself from her bare arm and dropped into the sea where it'd come from.

"You're on private property... you'd be in trouble if the security caught you." Kazuki declared as she repeated the same action on her other arm.

"There's a security guard around here?" Iliana asked worriedly, whipping her head around to the dock.

She caught a sly smirk on Kazuki's face as he walked past the yacht.

"Are you toying with me?"

He didn't reply and continued a steady pace back to the main dock. Iliana hastily slipped on her plimsolls she'd left on the side of the platform then jumped onto the stone jetty.