Chapter 20

Getting out of Jung's car was a relief, Iliana could no longer handle the bombardment of questions regarding the 'attempted kiss' as Jung called it. Even after she explained the reason for Kazuki's intimate action that night, Jung and Caitlyn were adamant there was more to the story. Despite how easy it was to repudiate any sort of infatuation with Kazuki to Jung and Caitlyn, she found it difficult to deny it to herself. From the depths of her soul, something yearned for his lips to touch hers. Such compulsion was intoxicating, that yearning and the aching familiarity she felt with Kazuki seemed quotidian of late.

That aside, there were matters of higher priority and making sure Mother was alright was one of them. Whilst Jung drove away, Iliana proceeded to the hospital's bustling main entrance with Caitlyn by her side.

"My goodness!" Caitlyn gasped when she saw the entrance heaving with people. "I've heard hospitals can be busy, but this is... a little crazy."

It had been ridiculously busy the past times Iliana visited the hospital, although this time it seemed worse. The queue to the reception desk winded out to the automatic doors and onto the pavement, it was as if they were selling hot cakes for free.

As Iliana and Caitlyn entered the building, a couple of security guards and nurses passed them and began attending to the people at the queue, who were all losing their patience. Scanning her untrained eyes at the people in need, she noticed how the majority of them suffered similar symptoms... white milky film over the whole of the cornea, the vacant expression and the odd convulsive movements.

"What kind of condition do you think all of these people are suffering from?" Caitlyn questioned in low voice, but loud enough for Iliana to hear over the chattering noises.

"I don't know... but I'm beginning to think its epidemic." She replied, finding many other patients in the corridors of the hospital reception.

She noticed the Indian nurse, Nurse Patel, treating one of the patients at the mouth of a corridor. The nurse caught her approaching as she began to write on the clipboard in her hand.

"Miss D'coye..." She acknowledged with a weary smile. "Your father hasn't returned yet."

"Actually... I've come to visit my mother." Iliana responded.

"Unfortunately... due to your mother's critical injury, the visiting hours are only in the afternoon. She has to undergo a few injections and other tests." The Nurse declared.

"Could I see her even just for a second... please?" Iliana pleaded.

Empathy dawned across the nurse's coffee coloured face, before letting out a small sigh. "You just remind me of your father when you do that puppy-dog eye expression. I would let you see her if I could, but I would have to accompany you. However, I'm exceedingly busy and don't have time right no—"

The nurse's words were drowned by a sudden scream from behind them. Iliana's head spun around in a flash to find a woman standing in a stupefied state, next to a man who was shaking violently on his feet and foaming at the mouth. The woman was nigh from touching the man's face, when Nurse Patel bolted past Iliana.

"Stop!" She shouted. "Please don't touch him... give him space."

"Nurse... please help him! Please help my husband!" The woman cried out in hysterics as she pointed the man. "He was fine until he came home from work Friday night... then the next day he was almost lifeless... and now he keeps doing that! What's happening to him?"

Iliana took a closer look at the man still dressed in his navy pyjamas, her eyes widened, and her mouth dropped open when she recognised him.

'Andrew!'