Chapter 14

Beads of sweat rolled down either side of Iliana's face as she laid on the ground like a sleeping baby, after her sudden and strange episode. The tears from her eyes trickled down her cheeks and merged with her perspiration. As if Kazuki's hands had a mind of its own, he attempted to wipe the falling moisture from her eye but he paused when his fingers were a breath away from her skin. The moment when he caught her as she collapsed replayed in his mind... the blurred images, the piercingly loud screams and the waves of fire... it was as if his dreams now haunted him whilst he was awake. But this time, his senses were introduced to something different ... clanging of heavy chains and male voices roaring in anger, just like she had described to Father Benjamin.

He rubbed his forehead.

'What is going on with me?'

Iliana's moans, and her slight movement returned his gaze on her. He shifted away from his close proximity when she jolted upright. The first thing she noticed was the swirling vines of water latched around her forearms were gone, panic dawned across her pale face as she scanned the area around her. She calmed when she found his eyes on her.

"W-what happened?" She breathed.

"I should be asking that question." He replied, regaining his stone like demeanour. He rested his arms on his knees with his fingers entwined around the chain of his Artefact.

Iliana opened her mouth to say something but no words came out, it seemed her insecurities had a similar weight as his own.

"I'm not one to force others to disclose their thoughts." He said, rising to a stance.

As he did, Iliana reached out to him and laid a hand on the sleeve of his tuxedo... the father of Jung's tuxedo. Such an attire was expensive to buy or even rent just for one night. Besides, it would only stir unwanted questions from his parents.

"Wait...!" She started. A look of desperation flashed across her eyes. "I suppose I must tell someone before it eats away my mind."

Kazuki sat down on the ground when she continued.

"I've been haunted by bad dreams... and not just the average nightmares... it feels so real and familiar. Like... I'm replaying a horrible distant memory I can't remember. Something is wrong with me... I swear it."

Kazuki gazed at the girl in surprise, not only because she confided in him despite their obvious differences but also, she appeared to experience similar situations as he did.

"You're not alone." He muttered.

He wasn't the type to unmask his own vulnerability, but he too needed to surrender the confinement of his own mental tribulations for some kind of relief.

"I... I suffer from bad dreams also... the screams, the hazy figures, the tree and the blazes of fire. They are all vivid enough to be real... like... like a distant memory."

Iliana gazed at him with an amalgamation of awe, relief and surprise. She shuffled closer to him. "Do you know what it could mean?"

He shook his head. "Do you remember when you asked Father Benjamin if anyone else felt auras within the Unknown World?"

"Yeah... he said not everyone had such a gift."

That was a furtive response from Father Benjamin... the priest sure knew how to play with words.

"Well actually... he and even Bishop Francis has never known anyone other than me, and now you to have that kind of gift."

Her face was a picture of perturbation, she swallowed hard but maintained a steady gaze with him. "Why are you telling me all this now?"