Chapter 29

Saren had lost track of how long he'd been in these dungeons. Arlan and Kyrie were constantly questioning him and his body was wearing down. He was in pain at all times from whatever the spellcaster kept doing. He prayed to the Great Mother to ease his pain. He was willing to die if it meant the pain would stop. Arlan had a wicked sense of humor. From his cell, he had a clear view of the gallows. He had watched as one by one, Sari's captured men had been marched up to the platform, blindfolded, and the noose slipped about their necks. A few struggled once they saw their destination. Others were resigned to their fates. Arlan spoke to each one before the trapdoor suddenly opened and they fell. Three weren't killed instantly and had struggled as they strangled. On the day that the last of Sari's men hanged, Saren knew, just knew, that his men would be next. He could have escaped at any time, but he absolutely refused to leave the others behind. He prayed he would not be forced to watch his fellow Guardians die from his cell. His prayer was answered, in a demented way. Arlan had grown tired of Saren giving the same or similar answer to all his questions. And none of the others would enlighten him any more than the assassin. His heart fell when he learned of his impending death. He only wished he could have seen Neve one last time.

Aiden hoped no one would recognize him as they sat in the tavern. He'd been with the Guardians for years, Neve even longer. Most of that was spent not too far from Faeren. There was always the chance that he would be recognized as Faeren's "apprentice". Even though Neve had been in the Guardians longer, she was always in the shadows and Lyra had barely been a Guardian for a day before the battle threw her world for a loop. Will, of course, wouldn't receive a second glance as he wasn't a Guardian and people didn't seem to realize that he was a Druid. His scepter didn't draw attention so they also didn't realize he was a spellcaster as well. They were in the tavern to listen for rumors and news. Will proved himself useful in gathering news for them without drawing attention to them.

"Arlan hasn't left his estate since the battle," Will said, four mugs of ale in his hands.

Under the ruse of being four travelers recently returned to Veloce after a long expedition for the king, he'd casually mentioned hearing the kingdom was at war.

"The bartender said that one of the barmaids was having an affair with a guard and seems he has loose lips in bed."

Neve gave an amused snort.

"The dungeons were full of Sari's men and Guardians of Veloce."

"Were?" Lyra looked concerned.

"He's pretty much had daily executions. All of Sari's men are dead. Seems he was trying to get one of the Guardians to break and give him some sort of information."

"It has to be about us," Neve said in a very low voice. "His men found Faeren's sword marking his grave. With the leagues between that and the battlefield, he was sure a Guardian or two escaped. The Druid elder told me that nine altogether had escaped. One was caught and hanged and another was killed defending himself in Halmont."

"Kendal," Aiden said. "He was dying even as he fought. We couldn't save him."

"What about the other three?" Lyra asked.

"He said they had hidden themselves, but he wasn't exactly sure of where. He tried to Dreamwalk to find them but never could pinpoint exactly where."

"Lex must be one of them," Aiden concluded. "She's a Dreamwalker herself. She could hide herself and whoever is with her from prying eyes."

"We have to find a way to rescue two dozen Guardians and sneak them out without the guards being the wiser before their executions." All three of them looked at Will. "They are set to die in three days."