Chapter 54

Lyra woke, trembling and grabbing onto the closest person, who happened to be Aiden. He could tell she wasn't completely coherent. He pulled her close, knowing she needed the time.

"Lyra?" he whispered.

"Oh, Gaia," Lyra breathed.

He didn't know if the trembling was from the terror she'd faced or the adrenaline wearing off.

Will tugged on Kara's sleeve and nodded towards the door. She, in turn, touched Lex's shoulder and did the same. The three spellcasters left the room, knowing she needed a moment to recover from whatever had happened.

Saren touched Aiden's shoulder, knowing better than to touch Lyra at the moment. "Both of you take your time. I don't know what she just went through to save us, but I don't expect her to recover quickly. I'd rather her regain herself with you in the privacy of this room than with the others bombarding her with questions."

Aiden nodded as Lyra put her face in her hands. Saren then followed the others out.

"She won't hurt anyone else again," Lyra whispered. "She's dead. Oh, Gaia! I killed my own sister!" She buried her face into Aiden's shoulder and sobbed.

He gently placed his hand on the back of her head, stroking her hair. It wasn't very often that she wore her hair down. "I'm sorry, Lyra," he said as he tried to comfort her. "I'm sorry you were forced to do this." It was the wrong time to think this, but having her in his arms just felt right. Aiden didn't know what to say. He'd never been forced to do anything like she just did. "You are the bravest person I know. You faced someone that terrified you. For us. For your friends. For your family. Your real family."

She looked up at him, tears still in her eyes and staining her cheeks.

"You didn't have to stay behind and face Kyrie. But you did it to protect us." He wiped away her tears. "To save me. One of these days, I'm going to save your ass enough times that we'll be even."

Lyra laughed.

"But in all seriousness, thank you. I owe you everything for being able to break through her barrier."

He kissed the top of her head and she went to work on the wounds Kyrie gave her.

~~~

Arlan pulled Kyrie into his arms, distraught. He'd found her dead in the middle of the floor, blood staining the entire front of her dress and pooling around her. Her staff lay nearby, broken in two. Whoever she'd found had fought back. And they'd won. Arlan had never thought that anyone could outmaneuver Kyrie. She was the most powerful spellcaster he'd found. And he'd found himself falling for her.

"I will avenge you, Kyrie. By Tharantos, I will avenge you!"

~~~

"Lyra." Neve approached the former Paladin.

"Yes?"

"Look, can we talk without the others overhearing us?"

Lyra motioned for her to lead the way. Once they were away from the others, the assassin turned to her.

"You heard everything, didn't you?"

"That you said to Aiden after the ambush and I admitted that I lied about my recruitment? Yes."

"I'm sorry for saying those things. I... I have no excuse for thinking that you weren't trustworthy. Today, when you went after Aiden and then faced off with your sister... I can't imagine what was going through your head. Saren finally told me what she did to him after that massacre. I'm glad you saved Aiden from having to go through that as well."

"I envy you, you know."

Neve gave her an odd look.

"Your brothers loved you and protected you. I never had that. I ran away from the spellcaster who bound me seven or eight times before she cast that spell on me. Kyrie tracked me down and dragged me back each time, even with me begging her not to."

"I'm sorry for doubting you."

Lyra placed a hand on Neve's arm. "It is the past. But I have to ask if you truly trust me."

Neve smiled. "With my life."

Lyra smiled. "Let's get moving. I don't know if Arlan was in the room with her but we cannot assume that Arlan doesn't know I exist anymore."