Chapter 55

The Lord of Shadows watched the group that the Champion was a part of. He'd seen her for the first time when the Great Mother had summoned her to Pantheon. Only the rare brave human with the ability to Dreamwalk ever came to the home of the gods. And it had been centuries since the last Dreamwalker had come into Pantheon itself. He'd watched her as she made straight for the courtyard where the Great Mother spent much of her time at the Window with the pizza kitty. To the humans, it would just look like a fountain, but to Gaia, it was her gateway to see all that her mortal children were doing. Not that she really needed it. She was called the Great Mother for a reason. She was the all mother, first and last among the gods and mother to the earth and had breathed life into the mortals at the beginning of time. She was mated to Raiden, the God of Storms. He himself was not mated as of yet. But he'd taken a liking to a mortal girl and had gifted her the ability to blend into his Shadows and be forgotten. And it had served her well over the years. But he was curious about the woman that had been born to be the Champion. So he followed her and her companions from his element. He found that she knew his Shadow Assassin. He spent part of the time watching the Champion and the other part watching his assassin. They'd had a bit of a strained time but, whatever the reason, it had passed. They were now friends and they respected each other. But he could not understand why the Champion hadn't faced her destiny yet. He'd seen Gaia herself, the Twins, and even a Valkyrie speak with her to set her on the right path yet she still hadn't done so. He discovered both their names as he listened to their conversations. He found his assassin and the one called Saren were the surviving siblings of a set of triplets. Draven found he could no longer stay in the shadows and watch Neve. He waited until she went on the watch.

Neve blended into the shadows as she began the watch. She'd discovered the ability shortly before she and her brothers joined the Shadeaux Rouge. The ability had proved useful in the many assassinations she'd performed over the years. She even tried to use it after their betrayal but because the other assassins knew about it, the Guild Master had warned the constable about it and, in turn, he warned his guards. But the ability had proven useful in the Trial when she, like Lyra, tagged two of the five Guardians set to test them. Her brothers had tagged two others. Afterward, Faeren had decided that their abilities would be a better way to test the recruits. She missed Jean fiercely and she would never truly be over her triplet's death.

"Hello, Daughter of Shadow," a male voice whispered close to her ear.

Neve nearly jumped out of her skin. She spun around and drew her daggers.

"You have nothing to fear of me." The shadows began to move and manifested into a man. She could barely see him in the darkness but she knew who he was.

"The Lord of Shadows," she whispered in awe before sheathing her daggers and going to one knee.

"Do not bow before me, Dove," he said, gently taking her arms and lifting her. "I did not come to be worshiped."

Neve was speechless that he was talking and touching her.

"I have watched you for many a year. I admire your strength and loyalty. You would not abandon your brothers to their fates. And you refuse to abandon your companions even as you discover the lies they have spoken."

"If you refer to Lyra, she had her reasons."

"Just as I have mine to speak with you." He smiled and she was beginning to see his face clearer. He was dark but clean-shaven. His eyes and hair were black as midnight and he seemed to be clothed in the shadows he controlled.

"And why, of all people, do you speak with me?"

"Because I like you, Neve. I always have. I gifted you with the Shadows, did I not?"

Neve gaped. "I can do what I can because of you?"

"Yes. As I said, I admire you. But I distract you from your duties." He stroked her cheek and she felt a shiver go down her spine. "Know I am never far away. I am always near, my Dove of Darkness, and I shall come when you and your companions need my aid." He took her hand and kissed it.

And then he was gone, leaving Neve reeling from the fact that The Lord of Shadows himself had just spoken with her and kissed her hand. She forced herself to focus on her job at that moment but could not push from her mind the shock that she'd just conversed with a god. And her reaction to his touch.

"What in the hell are you doing, Draven?" Morrigan asked. She and her brother were never far from Lyra's group. And they'd seen the exchange between Neve and their fellow god. "Now is not the time to find a mate," she added annoyed.

"I chose her a long time ago, Morrigan."

"And you choose to act now?"

"Enough, both of you," Thorn said. "Now that he is conversing with one of the Guardians he can aid us."

Morrigan nodded. "You have a point, dear brother. We are the only ones who dared to influence Lyra. And since he's been hanging around for some time, he knows this."

"Then answer me this," Draven said. "Why had she not moved to face Alora?"

"She has to master her fear first and bide her time. Just as she mastered her fear of Kyrie. She will hear of the dragon soon enough, even if her companion is reluctant to share the news."

"Time is not something we may have much of soon."

"I know this. I believe she will be ready before our time runs out."

"I hope you are right."