Chapter 46

Hopeless. It was the only description Kalmin could think of. Arlan's entire army stood outside Paladins' Keep. Much like Sari four years before, they couldn't possibly hope to stand against that and survive. Talish had already made the arraignments with his chosen men. They knew the signal and knew where to meet. Talish now joined him in the courtyard, but said nothing. Kalmin turned and looked at his men. He'd given them the choice to flee or fight. He wouldn't have thought less of them had they chose the former. But each man chose to fight. They chose to fight to honor Lyra.

"Everything is arraigned?"

"Yes, Sir."

Kalmin held out a small satchel towards Talish. The Colonel looked at it curiously. "Ever since we heard that a few Guardians had escaped from Arlan, I've been holding onto the hope that Lyra's still alive. My emotions clouded my judgment. I should never have allowed her to be recruited. She saved many lives that day and I rewarded her by sending her into a battle where her fate is now unknown. I've regretted that decision every day since. I've spent each day wondering and hoping for a confirmation that she is still alive. If she is and you happen to find her, I want you to give her this."

Talish took the satchel and pulled the strap over his head. "I always thought you hated her."

"She was a pain in the ass, but I respected her. Knowing that Arlan was the man responsible for killing the Guardians, and possibly her, sealed my refusal to join him. I cannot and will not join him. For Lyra's sake. I do this in her memory."

Talish nodded. "You were willing to make an enemy of a tyrant for Lyra?"

"I am. And I am willing to die for this. I will not lose my soul just to save my own life and dishonor her memory."

"And I will be by your side until you order me from it, First Knight." He placed his fist to his chest. "I am with you."

Kalmin knew that Talish had blamed him for Lyra's death in the year or so before he'd finally accepted that she was gone. Everyone knew of the love he'd had for her. He still loved her and his broken heart had changed him. He was a harder and angrier man. But her death seemed to have sparked something in him that made him a better Paladin, as if he were trying to live up to her memory. He used his magic more often in battle and while he wasn't as potent a healer as she, he did try. And he couldn't think of anyone better to lead the soon-to-be-shattered Paladins than him.

Great Mother watch over us all and Valkyries Embrace us when we fall. Kalmin stepped forward to speak with Arlan, Talish at his side.

~~~

Kyrie cut off her magic, leaving the Guardian panting. The spellcaster was struggling to hold herself up from Kyrie's draining spell. Arlan had given her free reign to do whatever she needed to make the Guardian reveal where her brothers were. She didn't know her name and she didn't care to. For several weeks, she'd been draining her magical energy little by little, trying to make her spill the information.

"Where are they, girl?"

The Guardian remained silent.

Kyrie grabbed her hair and lifted her head, the Guardian wincing. "Give up the ruse, Guardian. Don't you think they would have come for you by now? Your brothers have abandoned you. If they still live. Give up where they are hiding."

"No," she whispered.

"They have abandoned you to your fate."

"No."