Chapter 66

Aiden approached Daylen and Shara. Talish was asleep, the remaining three Paladins keeping watch next to him. Neve and Draven were in conversation. The Twins were on the other side of the camp, conversing with Saren. The three spellcasters that hadn't been in the fighting were gaping at the Twins, amazed that they were even there. Gaia had returned to Pantheon and Kalatira had returned to the Halls of the Valkyrie. Will was off by himself somewhere and Lyra had disappeared deeper into the temple, wishing to be alone with her thoughts for the time being.

"I think I owe you an apology, Daylen," he said.

"For what?"

"For keeping my identity a secret. I was hoping to protect all of you from Arlan and Sari. They would have killed anyone connected to me to lure me out."

"At least Arlan would. As for Mother, I really don't know anymore."

"I think it's a safe bet she would have tried to kill you as well," Shara said, causing the men to chuckle.

Aiden pulled Faeren's journal from his pack. "I found out who I was through this many years ago, long before I joined the Guardians of Veloce." He held it out to Daylen. "It wasn't at Halmont because I'd taken it to protect my secret."

"Everyone has secrets, Aiden," Shara said. "Only a few of us have had those secrets revealed. Daylen's Sari's son. Neve's Shadow Kissed. Will's the only Druid to learn the arcane warrior talents. I was one of Alora's binding spell slaves. You're a blood prince and Lyra was Alora's daughter. Haven't quite figured out if Saren or any of the Paladins have any secrets yet."

Aiden laughed.

"Look," she continued. "We understand why you kept that to yourself. Maybe it was meant to be a secret until Lyra defeated Alora. You know, I would never have thought to take her staff."

"I think Lyra could have bested her in a sorcerer's duel," Daylen said. "Especially after seeing that tempest she threw against Alora. Makes me glad she's on our side."

Shara nodded in agreement.

"I can't even imagine what she did to Kyrie." He looked at Aiden. "And I still can't believe that I call the man who can unite the kingdom my friend."

"We haven't many allies at the moment. Uniting Veloce behind me is easier said than done."

"We can start with Atevora," Will said, walking up to them. "We've already freed them from Arlan. They have proven their loyalty by harboring us. I don't think that it'll take much to convince them to join us. I mean, Alondo and Erin already had tried to join the Guardians of Veloce, right?"

"Yes, they just didn't pass their Trial."

"If we convince them to ally with us, the rest of the town will follow."

"He's right," Shara said. "Half the town has been training to fight Arlan whenever he decides to try to retake it."

"It's true they have no love for Arlan or Sari," Aiden agreed. "But they will be wary of someone new rising up with a claim to the throne. All we have is the word of a Guardian."

Daylen shook his head. "There's been rumors circulating for several years now of a fourth child. It's been staying pretty close in Citori and in the nobility, so I'm not sure if it's passed to the lower classes at all."

"So Arlan and Sari know that there's a possibility of another person with a stronger claim?"

"Yes. Mother believed that when Uncle Mael died and no one stepped up along with her and Arlan to contest the throne that either this child didn't know or Arlan had already killed them."

A mischievous grin appeared on Shara's face.

"I don't like that grin," Aiden said.

"Then we start to make them worry."

Will smiled. "We start our own rumor."

"You two worry me."

The band of warriors gathered together. Talish was now fully recovered and back to leading what was left of the Paladins. Saren offered to step down as acting Guardian Commander in favor of Aiden, but the prince refused the offer.

"You have been leading us all this time. You continue to do so."

"We need to decide what to do next," Lyra said. "But first, I want to thank Aiden, Daylen, and Saren for figuring out I was bluffing Alora to relieve her of her staff."

"I was hoping that's what the wink meant," Daylen said. "Shara's a good actress by the way."

"I thought you missed the wink with the way you were acting."

"I did. Daylen told me as he and Saren were dragging me away." This brought a smattering of laughs.

"What do we do now?" Saren asked. "How do we go about uniting Veloce?"

"We have the heir to the throne with us," Lyra said. "We have to start eroding Arlan and Sari's support."

"Starting in Atevora is a good start, I think," Will said.

"We're not going to make Sari's mistake," Aiden said.

They heard large footsteps coming towards them and they turned. Deandra appeared through the entryway. She inclined her head towards them, Lyra returning the greeting.

"My brood and I owe you a great debt, Lyra. I have come to offer our assistance in your coming quest. Whatever you need us to do, we shall do."

"Thank you, Deandra. Your help is greatly appreciated."

"Couldn't do any better than have Deandra's brood at your back," Draven said.

"Seems your allies are growing," Morrigan said with a small smile. "Gods and dragons at your back. No one has ever been able to say that."

"We'll split into two groups and meet back at Atevora," Aiden said.

"The last time we split into two groups, it ended badly," Saren said.

"Last time, you didn't have three of the gods on your side," Morrigan countered.

Shara smirked. "We're going to start a rumor that one of the royal family survived."

"Oh, this should be fun," the Goddess chuckled.