Chapter 68

"Sari is here?" Aiden asked when Daylen brought his mother's request to the others. Lyra was frowning.

"As far as I know she's alone. And I doubt Arlan would show up without his entire army at his back."

"He has a point," Neve said.

"You should speak to her," Thorn said. "You should know what to expect from your enemy."

"My brother is correct," Morrigan added. "She is one of the reasons this country has been torn apart. Speaking to her will help gauge if she is any more of a threat than Arlan."

Aiden looked over at Lyra.

"If she tries anything, she'll have to get through me or Talish first."

"Very well, Daylen. Bring her here."

Sari was truly surprised to see Daylen and one of the Guardians at the door when she opened it.

"He's agreed to speak with you, Mother."

Sari was relieved. Daylen motioned for her to follow. The black-haired man didn't look very happy to see her either, no doubt remembering that it was her fault that his brothers were dead. She followed Daylen out of the tavern.

"Where have you been all this time?" she asked. "Arlan said you died months ago."

"Why do you care?"

"I am still your mother, Daylen. I know we parted on bad terms but I still thought of you and worried for you."

"At least she isn't like Lyra's," the Guardian said.

"I guess you have a point there," Daylen sighed and Sari wondered who Lyra was. "I should have been dead. I spent many a month in Arlan's dungeons." She saw the Guardian visibly shudder. "I was able to escape with the help of Shara, the one you called a whore."

"What is with royals calling her a whore?"

"Saren."

"Right. Shutting up."

"Arlan probably sent you that missive to demoralize you. We met up with the surviving Guardians and were later joined by the surviving Paladins. We've been giving Arlan hell since then."

"I'm sorry about calling your friend a whore." Sari looked over at Saren. "And I'm sorry for my part in your brothers' deaths."

Saren spun around on her and she took a step back. "I lost more than my brothers. I lost a triplet. I nearly lost my own life. Those of us not lucky enough to be killed in battle were taken to Arlan's dungeons, where we were tortured for days on end by a powerful spellcaster who happened to have learned every evil torture technique she knew from Alora. I couldn't even begin to tell you how long I was there. I was forced to watch your men hang. I was forced to watch my men being tortured. I have my sisters and Gaia to thank for saving my life and you're sorry?"

"I... I wish I could do it over. I should have listened to Faeren. There is so much I would do over."

"That would never be enough." Saren turned and strode away.

"Saren has had to endure more than the rest of us. Being a Guardian was a family affair for him. He's the eldest of a set of triplets. His brother was killed in the battle. His sister helped spring him and the captured Guardians out with the exception of the ones who chose to distract Arlan's guards. Many of the ones who escaped didn't survive. Saren took on the role of Commander and it sets heavily on his shoulders."