Chapter 57

Alora looked boredly at the map. Arlan had taken more territory and was inching closer to the capital of Citori. Sari was still fighting him tooth and nail. A pair of unknown groups were disrupting both of them. Alora knew if these groups hadn't begun interfering Arlan would have crushed Sari and taken over the kingdom by now. Arlan couldn't take the throne just yet. She wasn't done playing. Alora had never planned on either one taking the throne. She expected them to kill each other first. She'd even sent her best apprentice to aid Arlan in killing Sari. And when they were dead, she was sure another would rise to try to claim the throne. They would die as well. Alora planned on killing everyone that tried to claim the throne, including the bastard heir. If he ever decided to come to terms with his blood. Alora ultimately wanted the throne for herself. She would kill all who resisted and rule over Veloce with magic. All would be her slaves. None would escape. But first, she had to discover how Lyra's collar had been removed and kill the one who removed it. Kyrie had tried to track the girl down, but had failed to find her for the first time. Alora sighed. She'd heard about Kyrie's death and had suspected Arlan had discovered her intentions. Until she heard about his grief. All Kyrie would have had to do was slay him in his dreams, he trusted her so much to fall in love with her. Pitiful and useless emotion. Her thoughts returned to her younger apprentice. Lyra would once again serve her willingly. Even if she had to kill anyone close to her in order to do it. Her thoughts went back to Arlan. Thanks to him, those pesky Paladins were destroyed. She no longer had to worry about them hunting her. Now, just for the task of setting Arlan back a few notches.

"Come to me, my pet." Alora heard the growl that always proceeded the Matriarch's arrival. "I want you to destroy two of Arlan's supply trains."

"Yes, mistress," she answered through gritted teeth before beginning her trek to do as she was commanded.

~~~

Lyra and Shara had gone to do some hunting. Their meat supply was running low and if they didn't find something soon they would have to live on cheese. And Lyra knew that would not bode well for Aiden. Lyra's bow was gripped in one hand, an arrow in the other. Her eyes searched the ground for signs of game. Shara had taken three rabbits with her knives, impressing Lyra. The mercenary had only said that she'd had to hunt for herself before joining the Order of the Wolf, although she was mum on why. Lyra eventually took down a small doe. After field-dressing it, she came away with enough meat to last for a while.

"I saw the Valkyrie," Shara suddenly said as they began the trek back to camp.

"What Valkyrie?"

"Don't play coy with me, Lyra. I saw you speaking to her at Paladins' Keep."

"Were you following me?"

"I was exploring the Keep. I just happened to see you at the forge. You spoke with the Valkyrie. What did she mean by you could defeat Alora?"

"You were eavesdropping as well, I see."

"Who has been waiting for you?"

"You ask too many questions."

"At least answer one of them."

"The gods."

"What?"

"The gods are the ones who have been waiting for me. They think I can defeat Alora. I am not too sure I can."

"No one can defeat Alora. Anyone who has tried has ended up dead."