8. The Princess Venaessa

Everyone apart from her brother, occasionally, and father hated the princess. She was loud, over-critical and sometimes quite foul-mouthed and unpleasant. Of course she refused advice from the Grand Sage on how to control her temper and as a result, had no friends. However, she did have a terrifying dragon, Anyx and even they didn't agree all the time. Subsequently, the palace had always felt empty after the queen had vanished many years ago. The princess often liked to occupy herself by wandering around the palace which was continually being extended. Venaessa didn't know what was being built this time but it looked like yet another meeting room thus giving her father another excuse and opportunity to avoid his children. Nevertheless, she continued to strive for his seemingly impossible approval.

"What do you want, Nass?" asked Venaessa as she strolled past a fountain in one of the many palace gardens.

"How did you know?" asked her cousin in disbelief.

"I'm the predator and I know where my prey is at all times," she said suddenly remembering that she was playing a game with the twin boys.

Nass turned and ran as fast as a twelve-year-old could. However, it didn't take long for Venaessa to catch him and strike him across the face. It was a cruel game taught to them when they were very young but the rules still stood.

"I win," she stated, bluntly with boredom ridden across her face.

Compared to her cousins, Venaessa was a different animal. In fact, compared to everyone she met, she was physically superior and more sly.

"Your highness," came a voice.

"Well done, old man," replied Venaessa, "you're still the only one who can sneak up on me after all these years."

"Thank you, your majesty," replied the Grand Sage, smiling, "but we must hurry, we have a lot to discuss."

Venaessa rolled her eyes and sighed. "I have neither the time nor energy to go back inside," she said, "let's walk and talk."

For what seemed like hours, they walked. The old man took advantage of the opportunity and made sure to lecture Venaessa about the continent's current state of affairs. Does he really think I care about some coronation in Orros or assassination in Cainok? she thought. The conversation seemed like it would never end. She knew there would always be an assassination here or a war there - a neverending cycle of blood. That's just the way the world works, I guess.

The princess and the sage, at last, entered into a small forest that led to the world beyond the palace. The birds sang a melancholic ballad that convinced the princess that she wouldn't be too pleased with what was to come.

"Your father has a very important task for you," stated the Grand Sage, in a tone that made the princess anxious.

Venaessa stopped in her tracks and swivelled to face the old man. "What task?" she hissed, nervously.

The Grand Sage furrowed his bushy brow and scratched his patchy, snow-white beard. "The King would like you to travel to Jados and recommence diplomatic talks with their king," said the old man, solemnly, "You must also remind him of the Seventh Article and plan a further meeting. You leave in one week."

"Wait. Why me?" she asked flustered, "Shouldn't father go himself?"

"Ah...well, the King has other matters to attend to," replied the Grand Sage, "as you should know, mountain raiders are sacking villages in the west. Guess whose job it is to sort that matter out."

Although this was true, Venaessa couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this. Just two weeks ago her brother, Draken, had been sent to Narantis to try and secure a loan of an unimaginable amount. What is the Seventh Article? she thought.

"Venaessa," added the Grand Sage, very sternly, "do not overthink this. I can only assume that you are trying to piece together the recent goings-on. Do not. I believe you are in deep enough water already."

At first, the words sent a shiver down her spine but after this had subsided, it was replaced with anger that had been slowly boiling up from within.

"I am the Princess!" she proclaimed, staring intensely at the faded footpath as she began to raise her voice, "You will address me as such!" When the princess raised her head, the Grand Sage was gone. At this point, her mind was starting to swell with suppressed rage and embarrassment. How dare they treat me like some errand boy! One day I'll be the queen!

The princess' rage soon turned to fear. A fear that could be calmed by one thing - her dragon and so she ran to her lone friend.

As she made her way to Anyx, memories of her early childhood presented themselves: her grandfather's death, her mother's disappearance and the fleeting memory of a boy she didn't recognize. She had often had these images repeated in her sleep: in her blackest thoughts and darkest nightmares. They just refused to leave her mind.

Venaessa ran and ran until she had left the new palace grounds and entered the old - the ruined fort, Graenal. "Anyx!" cried the princess as she caught sight of her friend's large body barely contained in the ruins.

The dragon snorted in delight, sparks flying from her nostrils. Venaessa ran across the chalk barrier keeping Anyx contained and hugged the beast. Her warm chest soothed Venaessa as the rage began to rapidly subside.

Solely from just looking at the dragon, Venaessa could tell that she was bored and lonely. It had been quite a while since they had seen each other. It was said that a lonely dragon was like a starving Redwolf let loose among a herd of sheep. "It's good to see you too, buddy," she said, smiling. "I see that you are growing stronger each day."

The dragon's black scales seemed to shine as brightly as any star. The horns protruding from its great head were both sharp and daunting. Anyx' legs and claws were concealed by two enormous black wings that when fully outstretched could span at least half of the throne room in the palace.

Venaessa looked smugly at the dragon and it too seemed to smirk. "Don't worry. In one week," she began, "we'll finally be let loose on the world."