37. Venaessa

Venaessa hastily propped herself up with the long stick and hobbled through the tunnel. Her brain felt as though it was both melting and splitting at the same time. Regaining her memory had been something that she didn't think would be so hard and painful. Still, there was something strange about the whole situation. Venaessa couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to her injury than what Lilleth was letting on. Every time she brought it up, the kind woman would shrivel and change the topic of conversation which was usually about Anyx. Suddenly, she felt something sharp and jagged run along her neck. The princess hunched over and began to cough violently. Her stomach churned and her mind was full of gruesome images and then nothing...just all-encompassing darkness. She dropped her stick and began to claw at her neck as if someone was strangling her with rope. Her skin began to boil and her movement became more sluggish as the struggle for air continued. Venaessa wanted to scream for help but she could barely make a sound as she gasped and shook.

"Venaessa!" shouted Lilleth as she came rushing to her side.

The princess looked up and thrust her hand out toward the woman who swiftly took it. "I-I..."

"Anyx! Here!" 

The dragon came storming toward them in a tunnel she could barely fit through, knocking over many things in the process. Lilleth placed Venaessa's hand over Anyx's warm snout. "You need to concentrate! One thing at a time! Focus on Anyx!"

Venaessa's vision slowly became blurred and although she could just see Lilleth open her mouth, the words were distorted and quiet. The one thing that she could process clearly was Anyx. The dragon stared at her fearfully as her grip tightened. Yet the more she held Anyx, the easier it came to force out words. "I can't - I can't breathe."

"Yes, you can," replied Lilleth, gently.

"No! I can't! My-my neck!" screamed Venaessa, in agony.

"I see. That is a shame."

Venaessa turned her full attention to the woman who was calmly stood in front. "Help me! HELP!" Under, her hand she could feel Anyx shudder. I'm sorry!

"You don't need help, princess," replied Lilleth, leaning against the wall.

"I do!" shouted Venaessa, searching for the rope around her neck. 

"It's gone."

"It's...gone," confirmed Venaessa, cautiously. She ran her index finger across her neck and to her surprise found nothing. "Where did go?" she asked, swivelling to find out who had been strangling her. "Who did that?"

Lilleth took a step forward and frowned. "You did that."

 Venaessa had never seen the woman so dejected before. The whole room seemed as if it was darker. The torches on the wall were alight but somehow no light came from them. "What do you mean I did that. Why would I try to kill myself? That's madness."

"It was all in your head, you created it with your mind."

"I felt it around my neck, it was real. It still burns from the rope," replied the princess, adamantly.

Lilleth shook her head and wagged a finger. "I think that you know it wasn't real. This isn't the first time you've claimed that someone was trying to kill you, Venaessa..."

"Then what's happening to me? What's wrong with me?" she screamed, unable to control her tears. Why am I like this?

"Because...Because you died."

Venaessa's head started to spin vehemently. The word sounded so strange and foreign to her. Died. Everything around her looked bleak, grey and dim, save for the torches which were now brighter than ever. There was no colour to the rest of her world nor anything in it. Death? The sharp, stinging sensation from her neck disappeared  and all strength in her body abandoned her. Anyx snatched her in her tail and pulled her close before she could fall.