28. Elias and The Letter

Elias and Eliza stood in front of the Senra with conviction in their eyes. 

"Well, what do you want?" she asked, smirking. "What do you want now?"

"You know why we're here," replied Eliza, speaking out uncharacteristically.

The Senra attempted to stand but her chains prohibited her from doing so. Instead, she beckoned the children to come closer and to shut the door. Eliza closed the door and nudged Elias forward.

"Little children," said the woman, pulling an unsettling smile, "I have been told not to tell you. Can't tell you anything at all! The Seran would have my head... on a golden platter."

You're sort of useless anyway...

"Don't think such a rude thing, Elias," she said, spitting as she spoke. "You have no idea - none whatsoever - the things I have done for you."

"The man that came to kill me. The spy," he mumbled.

The Senra nodded slowly. "You may think I offer nothing to this leader of yours but I do and he knows that!" she exclaimed, scratching her head furiously. "The thing th - that made m-me like this... The thing that split me in half. I know it'll soon be here. Then...then you'll see."

What! What's coming? Elias studied the woman. She was still dressed in the tatty garments that she had been in when he had first met her. Parchment was still strewn on the ground and ink-stained the walls and floor.

Eliza looked back at Eliza. She nodded. "What do you mean, Senra?" he asked, anxiously. "Is someone after you?"

The crazed woman put her bare feet on the small table and began to laugh hysterically. "Don't - don't look so frightened children!" she howled. "Look at your faces! Ha!"

Don't say you were -

"Was that supposed to be a joke?" asked an irritated Eliza, stepping forward.

"Of course it was," replied the woman, snapping back into a serious attitude. "You both think this letter is going to save the world or something? Really?"

"If it's not important, then why all the secrecy? Why do you have to write it? Why do I have to do this stupid training?" asked Elias, raising his voice. "You really are crazy!"

A dark shadow seemed to be cast over the strangely bright room. The woman had a terrible expression ridden across her face that made Elias' heart sink deep into his chest. He had never seen a person so frustrated, spirited and terrifying at the same time.

"I am not crazy!" she retorted, digging her long and sharp nails deep into the table. "If anything, it is you who is the crazy one for accepting to do this little task."

Right. I'm the crazy one.

"Yes," she replied. "You thought you were special, did you? You don't think they sent countless others before you?"

What are you talking about?

"You know exactly what I mean," she continued. "This little kingdom is trembling in fear, falling apart because of your spoiled king. If the word gets out that they suspect...that they suspect the other. Trade stops - that's one major avenue gone. If that happens..then you'll see how fragile everything is. They've sent many others with that same letter that you will bear. It didn't work out for them. "

"You're lying!" shouted Eliza, slamming her fists on the table.

The Senra recoiled and hissed like an irate cat. "I don't lie," she said, scowling. "It's  not in my nature."