32. Venaessa's Memories

Venaessa stared blankly at the coarse walls of the cave. Anyx was curled up next to her, as per usual. The dragon hadn't left her side since she'd woken up but she didn't know why. I need to complete my mission. The princess snapped out of her trance and searched the small room for the woman.

"I'm behind you," croaked the old lady.

"I need to complete my mission," she replied, dryly. "I can't stay any longer. I need to finish what I started."

The woman sighed and drank a strange smelling purple liquid from a stone cup. "And what is your mission?" she asked, unimpressed.

"I... don't know..."

"And who sent you on this mission? " she continued, softly.

"I can't remember..." replied Venaessa, searching her absent mind in vain for any answers."I know that I was told to do something! I know it! I can see images but I can't remember anything!"

"Images?"

"Yes but they're broken into pieces," she said, lying on the cold, hard floor. "I can see one thing but can't remember the other. What's happening to me?"

The woman shuffled uncomfortably on her stool. "I've told you many times before. You were badly injured, knocked senseless," she said, compassionately. "Luckily that wonderful dragon of yours brought you to me and I helped you. I don't expect you to remember everything just yet. It will come in time."

Venaessa wasn't sure whether to believe the woman. She had been very kind to her but every time she asked what had happened to her, the story changed a little each time. "Last time you said something different," murmured Venaessa.

"Did I now? What did I say?"

"I know you didn't say I was badly injured. I know you didn't."

The woman sighed in, what sounded like, relief. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to overwhelm you."

Venaessa still wasn't content with her answer. "How bad was my injury?" she persisted.

"It was... very bad."

"Is that why my neck still burns?" she asked, gently touching it. It stung as if someone was pouring salt into a ghastly open wound.

"Yes and that is all. That is all I know, little one. I was not there when you were hurt."

Venaessa nodded in acceptance of the facts and tried to stand up. As soon as she moved, her knees shook and her head rung. It felt as though she were being shouted at by a hundred people in a hundred different directions. She was confident that she knew the voices but not who they belonged to or where she had heard them. Anyx caught her in her tail just before she landed on the ground. A very familiar occurrence.

"It will take time, Venaessa, Princess of Anador," noted the woman, passing her a long stick to aid her. "You need-"

"Yes, yes." Venaessa took it reluctantly and grinned. She loved being called by her name - it was one of the only things she knew for certain. "Of course. I need to be patient. I know," she continued. The princess gingerly stood and stroked Anyx. "If I'm the Princess of Anador, surely someone is waiting or looking for me because I'm not in the Anador."

"Maybe, young one but who would be looking for a princess?"

"I don't know."

"Then either do I," she replied, helping Venaessa limp through one of the dimly lit tunnels. "These are things you must figure out for yourself. Just be-"

"Patient," said Venaessa, anticipating the woman's every word. "I don't think patience is a word I'll forget! You say it so often!" The princess began to laugh, remembering all the times she had heard the woman say the same sentence. "Like an echo that never stops...um, echoing! I feel like it might be a part of me now."