23. Thom Percy

"I suppose that concludes today's events," said the Lord of Finance, slamming shut a large and tatty brown book. He had bushy eyebrows, well-maintained grey hair and an amusing resting face that had always made Thom smile.

There was a collective cheer from the six other men sat around the beautifully hand-carved table. Fantastic. Thom slouched on his seat and gazed out of the window. He could hear the sound of hooves on the streets, the birds chirping and the distant voices coming from the other rooms in the Chamber of Finance. Each day was getting longer as the anticipated start of Summer drew ever nearer and Thom was definitely feeling the strain. Compared to everyone else in the group, he was the youngest by close to eight years. As a child, Thom had expected that by nineteen he would be a wealthy young lord married to a Lady from a high-class background, whether she was ugly or pretty, with a castle and a surplus of coin. His birthday spent in the tavern last week made sure that dream would never be realised. What a life I am living...

"Great," said Robert, clasping his hands. "I get to go home early."

"That is true but there was a reason for it," he replied, sombrely.

"Oh no," said Thom, uninterestedly, "what is it now?"

"Thom, your enthusiasm is a joy," said Robert, guffawing.

Everyone else but the Lord of Finance, who was thinking very deeply about something, looked at Thom, in silence, for a response whilst the plump man continued to giggle. 

"Shut up, Rob," replied Thom, staring annoyedly at him from across the table. "I can actually smell you from here. You stink of shit. When you get back to your pig-sty, use the extra time to try and clean yourself."

The men all burst out laughing and even the usually strict Lord of Finance let out a quick smile. 

"Alright," he said, raising his voice over them, "that's enough, settle down. Robert, stop annoying Thomas. In fact, I'm quite sure that we are all sick of your voice already."

"Absolutely," said Thom, staring down Robert who was still chortling. What a weird man...

"As I was saying, " he continued, "the reason that we have finished early today is that our latest proposals were rejected...again by the King despite a majority vote on the Council."

The smiles on everyone's faces quickly faded as they were replaced by frowns and scowls. I'm really starting to hate this King of ours. Robert opened his mouth to undoubtedly make yet another comment.

"Please, close your mouth, Rob," said Peter, scratching his short and curly black hair.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

"What's the point of having a King's Council if he won't even bloody listen to it," said Thom, frustratedly.

The other men nodded in agreement.

"Sir Thomas," said the Lord of Finance, in a low voice, "be wise with your words. You don't know who could be listening."

"Well, I know it won't be him because apparently, he doesn't listen to anybody," whispered Thom, fiercely.

 "That Isabelle Murrow girl," said Peter, quietly. "The one who writes in that paper. she's got the right idea. She seems to know what the people actually need and isn't afraid to make it clear."

She does, doesn't she...

"Personally, I think she has made a grave mistake," grunted the Lord of Finance. "I believe she has put herself in the King's Red Book."

Oh crap!

"Do you really think so?" asked Peter, his voice reflecting the sudden cold and fearful atmosphere in the room.