33. Rian's Walk

Prince Rian covered his nose and held his breath as he walked through the dark and damp tunnel. The soft rippling of the river beside him and the dim light of the torch he held were his only companions. Every time he ventured into the tunnels, Rian was relieved that he didn't have to depend on the river for clean water like the large majority of the city did. Although it had been declared decades ago that the river was not to be tampered with, he didn't trust the people and had always assumed that they still dumped their waste in it. 

The melancholic silence of the tunnels brought a strange thought to the prince. I haven't heard from Jessica for a while... even Thom. I wonder what they're up to. Rian hoped that when he saw them, they wouldn't be too frustrated that he hadn't made any contact with them for a long time. A number of different excuses that were partially true started swirling around his always preoccupied mind. I'll say that I was distracted by the Kingcall and such. That's more or less true. Although the Kingcall had taken up most of his time, it was only because he had to do a lot of helping and was quite frankly, embarrassed by it. Thom will humiliate me if I tell them that I was doing the same things a small page does.

The warmth of the sun on his left cheek directed the prince left at the intersection. Even if it was late in the night, he would still know when to turn as he had frequented the tunnels that lay underneath the castle and part of the city for years, sneaking out whenever he could. Being alone where no one could bother him was what he had always wanted and a few years ago he had found the trapdoor in a store. Yet, despite all the time spent below the Hanfort, he had never turned right - the unknown had always scared him a little. One day, I ought to find out where that goes. South, all the way to Riversend or maybe northwards, through Greenmarch and straight to Rhyburne...

Rian's thoughts were cruelly interrupted by the sun as it bared down on him like a wolf to sheep. He pulled on his hood and rubbed his eyes furiously as they became accustomed to the bright light. The prince hated the fact that he was wearing a cloak and hood on such a warm day but he had been seen by the public a lot more recently and decided it was the safest way to go out unnoticed. At least it smells good out here. He quickly checked that there was no one present before ascending the steps to the narrow and quiet street. Perfect. Rian strolled over the bridge behind him and hurried through the alleyway where two women were nattering as usual. His stomach lurched as he saw a chubby ginger cat pounce on a mouse. How do these people live with these rodents running around everywhere? I hope they read what Jessica wrote about it!

Regardless, Rian continued on his way, stepping carefully so as to avoid any unpleasant things on the street. He looked left, then right and finally, took a deep breath. The bustling city provided a welcome change for the prince however, something felt off. There were no carts making horrible sounded as they rattled along, no violent haggling and not even a troublesome child in sight, save for the one that stood in front of the barber's. "Well, well, well.... if it isn't Will himself and on time no less," said the prince, applauding.

"Yes, sir."

"Don't just stand there," replied Rian, beckoning the boy to draw nearer. "Tell me what's going on."

"Things suddenly got heated in the Southern District a few days ago! And the Northern as well!" exclaimed the boy, excitedly.

"What! Why?" asked Rian, anxiously. "The King hasn't changed anything! Every rule and regulation has been unchanged for ages. What do they want now?"

"A woman."

Rian waited for Will to elaborate but the young boy didn't. He just stood there stubbornly and stared. "Carry on! What are you waiting for?"

"Sorry sir, I forgot what I was about to say but I remember now..."

"Fantastic..."  replied Rian, with a hint of sarcasm.