14

The Second Attack

Mateo was on a high, currently he was sitting in his office, satisfaction coursing through his body. Serena was safely ensconced in his room, sleeping peacefully, they had spent the whole time, when they were awake, touching and exploring each other's bodies. He may have not fully claimed her, but imprinting was the next best thing, making sure she was completely satisfied before he left, her heat put on the back burner for now.

"I see someone is happy. Whatever reason could it be?" Rocco commented, his eyebrows moving up and down in a comical manner.

Rolling his eyes at Rocco, Mateo only grinned in response.

"Ahhh...that good, hey!" Rocco exclaimed.

"Leave it be, Rocco." Neo said in warning.

Just then the door opened, Mateo's father stepped in with a sombre expression. All the good vibes in the room dispersed. Mateo instinctively knew that his father came bearing bad news, "What happened, Dad." Hoping it had nothing to do with Serena.

"There has been another attack, one of the candidates." His father responded.

"Who? When? Where?" Rocco asked in quick succession.

Mateo waited nervously, even though his father hadn't said Serena's name, he worried and hoped selfishly that when his Dad said, candidate, he was talking about the other women. He would not feel much guilt, thinking like that, because the other candidates didn't affect him, like Serena, his mate. Even though anger would still set in, because somebody hurt a guest, trying to undermine his authority and protection of members.

"It was Mandy, in her room, early hours of this morning. Her maid found her." Leo informed them.

"Is she...?" Rocco asked, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"No, she is still alive. She was badly beaten up and also had been stabbed." Leo said, "Nobody heard her screams, because she was bound and gagged. Whoever her attacker was, she knew them."

Relief flooding through him, that it wasn't Serena, Mateo focused on his father's last words, "How do you know, she knew her attacker?"

"Before the doctor sedated her, she kept mumbling the same thing over and over again." Leo answered.

"And...?" Mateo asked.

"I trusted her!" Leo replied, "That's all she said."

"Not even a name?" Neo asked.

"No, unfortunately. She just kept repeating those words." Leo spoke.

There was a knock on the door, Rocco stood up, opening it, "We're in a important meeting." Rocco informed the person on the other side, pushing them back, stepping out of the office for a moment, closing the door behind him.

Letting Rocco deal with the pack member, Mateo looked at his father, "Will she be able to identify her attacker, when she wakes up?"

"Perhaps... though we won't know till then and it might be a while. Her injuries were severe, almost lethal." Leo spoke.

"I'll check the security camera's too her room, hopefully we can see who came in and out" Neo, his Beta, told them. Getting up to do just that.

"Forget it, I've already checked before coming here. Suspiciously the footage from this morning is corrupt. Our best IT's are working on it" Leo informed them.

Slamming his fist on his desk, Mateo spoke, "So...not only are we dealing with a traitor, they are able to give us the slip?"

Rocco entered the office, "You better talk to this member, he has something very important to say, it pertains to Mandy." Stepping aside to let him in.

Mateo looked over, seeing that it was one of the elite warriors appointed to guard the candidates, "Talk to me Angelo and be quick. What info do you have on Mandy?"

Bowing his head in submission, gulping, he proceeded in a rush, "Mandy is my mate." Fear in his eyes, worried that his Alpha would kill him for overstepping the boundaries.

"What...?" Mateo growled.

"Hear him out..." Rocco interrupted, "There's more...so don't go killing him."

Mateo took a deep breath, "Continue..."

"I'm sorry, it just happened. One moment I'm doing my duty, the next we were conversing, getting to know each other. At first my feelings were protective, but that changed two days ago. Yesterday, when we were together, Mandy was worried about us getting caught. I tried to convince her that we could try and talk to Queen Octavia, that perhaps she could help give advice..." Angelo said, "But she was adamant, she said she needed to talk to someone she trusted before deciding. Before leaving me, she promised to let me know today. But..." He choked out, "I didn't get the chance...!"

Mateo understood where Angelo was coming from, wasn't he in the same position a few days ago, "Ok, do you perhaps know who she trusted to talk with?"

"There was three...no...four candidates she was close to." He responded.

"Who?" Leo demanded.

"Ummm...Tabitha, Katie, Marie and I don't think the last one is relevant, since she is not around, Serena." Angelo replied to the question from his former Alpha.

All four men went quiet after that revelation, each pondering on the implications of the names given.

"May I see her..." Angelo whispered, breaking the silence, "Please...she is my mate."

Mateo understood where the request was coming from. He replied sternly, "Rocco, will take you. But... don't talk to anyone about what we have discussed." He growled out.

Elation filled Angelo, "Thank you, Sir." Ready to leave...

"Angelo..." Mateo spoke.

With his hand on the doorknob, Angelo turned to his Alpha, "Sir...?"

"You'll still be reprimanded for your actions in keeping quiet, so expect punishment!" Mateo growled.

Bowing in submission, "Yes Alpha..." Leaving the room with Rocco following.

Leo looked at his son, "So...Serena is off that list of names, leaving us three and we know the attacker is female. That narrows down the search considerably."

"Yes..." Mateo agreed, looking at Neo, "We need to backtrack on their movements, I need you check that out, also get as much background information on all three. One of them is hiding something."

Neo agreed, getting up to do just that. Leaving Mateo and his father alone in the office.

"We are almost there, Meu filho." Leo told his son.

"Yes, Pappa. Soon we'll catch the traitor." Hope in his voice.