Chapter Six- Race for the Union

My eyes popped open. Something was in my room. Not nearly enough time had passed since I went to sleep. The scherlot was awake as well. His doleful eyes were open wide and staring towards the front door. The covers slid back as I crept out of bed. A loud crashing sound came from the front room, a plate shattering on my floor. Someone mumbled a curse word.

"Who's there?" I asked, half expecting Notawa's peppy voice to respond. Footsteps rushed towards my room without any answer.

With the largest book in my hand, I put my back to the wall right next to the doorway. The darkness made everything spookier. My heart stopped when I saw a shadow slink across the room.

"Drop the book and come out with your arms raised," a deep voice ordered.

"No dice asshole. What do you want?" I barked.

They jumped into my bedroom. Three of them covered from head to toe in black. I launched the heavy book at the one closest to me. He was hit in the face and dropped to the floor. The others grabbed my arms and pinned them behind my back. The person on the ground was cursing and rubbing their covered face.

"Son of a, ugh!" they yelled. I was thrashing my arms trying to escape my captors, but it was no use. The same person I had hit with the book threw a pillow case over my head.

It wasn't a clean pillowcase. Whoever used it last had been wearing some sort of horrible hair gel and it smelled like a dead animal that had been soaked in jet fuel. The stale breath from my mouth was making it worse.

"You ok?" another voice asked. It wasn't directed at me.

"No, damn it all," the man said.

My fear ebbed a bit when I recognized the voice. Even though I had only heard it at training, I had a good idea of who it was.

The tile was freezing cold on my feet, and the smell of the pillowcase was so strong it was making me nauseous.

They pushed me down the hall. As we walked, I heard more feet join us. Maybe twenty people in all.

"It feels broken again." The man said to someone. That was my final clue.

"Kirtis is that you?" I turned my covered head towards the sound of his voice.

"No talking," he said. It was him alright. How in the hell did he find so many people to help get his revenge? On second thought, it made sense, everyone hated me.

We walked on in silence. Several turns later, I was lost. We couldn't have been far from my quarters, it was a short walk. They led me outside, the hard cement hurt my uncovered feet. Tiny pebbles shoved into my heels with each step. Drones were warming up somewhere. The hum of their engines resonated through my body. Where we leaving the SSFA on a drone?

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Somewhere," the deep voice said. Everyone around laughed. It would be so nice to be able to laugh with them or hit them all in the face. A buzzing alarm off to my left made my head snap around. The sound of a giant door sliding over metal tracks came next. It was a miserable screeching sound that killed my ears. I was escorted through the door when we came to a final stopped.

"Sit here," someone else commanded.

They pushed on my shoulder and I half sat, half fell onto a hard metal seat. Someone ripped the pillowcase off. It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to the overhead lights. When they did, I saw where they had brought me.