Chapter Ten- Help

"We can have the kitchen staff cook up something extra special for tonight," Notawa said over the headset. She was flying us back to the Flying Force in a T550. Being a Privy Master sure had its rewards.

"Sounds fine, after we talk to the Tech though right?" I asked.

"Uh huh, sure. Cute burla! Doesn't seem to like flying much,"

"Nope." The thundering of the drone was making me sleepy, but Tomma wasn't giving me an inch.

The further we got from my home, the more uneasy I became. Calcumat calls always went through. The thing is on your wrist, and even when it is on silent, it still lights up. There was no way my father would ignore so many calls from me. By the time we arrived at the landing pad, my mind was racing with all the terrible possibilities.

"Why don't we go grab an early breakfast?" Notawa asked after landing in the hanger bay. It had to be close to three in the morning.

"No. Straight to the tech," I said.

"I sent a comm, but I think they went home for the weekend. So food?" She walked far in front of me, I was lagging with my squirming baggage.

"Notawa!" I yelled out, sending Tomma into a fresh fit.

"Yes?" she turned to me, her smile was tired and didn't quite reach her eyes.

"What are we doing about my dad?" I asked.

"I told you, I sent a comm to my friend, but Talaya, its zero-three-zero-five. Why don't we get a little something to eat, and sleep for a while? First thing tomorrow-"

"No. Either you help me or I am going to Master Guardian myself." I stated. Her smile disappeared.

"Talaya, that's not something you want to do." She stayed away from me and my flailing burla. It was dark in the hanger bay but her face was as white as a ghost.

"I want to make sure my father is OK. If that is how I have to do it, then so be it." Tomma wretched harder in my arms while we stared each other down.

"I might be able to do something," she said finally, "I was Admin Tech for two years before they let me switch." That made sense, I had always thought she was more the Administration type.

"Please, I won't be able to sleep thinking he is hurt somewhere,"

"Holy Tau! What do you think is going on here? First that crack about your mom and now this?" she asked. I had never heard her swear like that before.

"Master Guardian wants me to play nice. So, he takes Zar right in front of me and when that doesn't work, grabs my dad. Did I miss anything?" She did her best to look indifferent but gave a shudder. It didn't get cold here at 33 North, she was scared as much as I was.

"That's ridiculous." There was no conviction in her voice.

"Maybe it is, but we won't know for sure until we check."

"I can try." My whole body untensed at the news.

Tomma's forked tail twitched back and forth while we sped our way through the empty halls. I held my head far away from the spikes on the tips, they did a lot more than sting. His good eye was staring at me, the other having been torn to shreds but some other animal long ago. He was almost dead when my father found him. My shaky fingers pet him on the head, and his yellow eye closed.