Chapter 23-Recruitment

The first thing on my list was recruitment. There was one person I had in mind, problem was he was pretending I didn't exist. My comm's to him went unanswered and when I tried to speak to him during his shift as a guard, he ignored me. Creativity was never my strong suit, but I had to try something new. During his next shift, I wrote a note and dropped it on the ground in front of him. It read, 'we need a plan.' Instead of jumping for joy, he crinkled it up and tossed it over his shoulder. That was it, if he thought he could get away with pouting for any longer, he had another thing coming.

"You stubborn ass!" I shouted at him right in the hallway. The other guard laughed and raised his shock-prod.

"It's fine Rotowey, just a little...problem, I will deal with it," he told him.

"You don't think she could use a lesson in respect?" he asked Krit'ts. Krit'ts shoved the shock-prod away from Rotowey and got in his face.

"Actually, I think you could! Piss off, I said I would deal with this!" If Krit'ts hadn't outranked him, who knows how it would have ended. Since he did, all Rotowey could do was stick out his chest, huff a few times, then walk away. His fingers yanked the weapon off the ground and he stomped off.

"What the hell are you thinking? Trying to get us both killed?" he asked as soon as we were alone.

"Krit'ts we need a plan,"

"Really?" he said feigned shock.

"There's a man and his family. We need to get him somewhere safe," I said.

"You promised someone that we would help them, when we are stuck here like this? Are you stupid?" he asked while we were on our way to another class.

"You're the one that told me to do this!" I answered.

"I told you to lead, not make dumb promises that we can't keep,"

"Krit'ts, I know we can do something, we can hack a drone, fly him somewhere far away, give him some money, I don't know, but we have to do something!" I was begging and he knew it. The wheels were turning in his head, I could tell by the distant look he got in his eyes.

"I know someone in admin that can help, they are no Tesser, but they could probably hack a drone," I was so relieved I could have hugged him. I resisted the urge.

"Can we meet with them now? I promised Kaynotee days ago,"

"No, I will take care of it, just give me his comm information and...I will do it," he answered. He looked very tired all of the sudden.

"For now, we need to talk logistics. There's still hundreds of people here that need to get out, but Rotowey will probably come sniffing around soon, we can talk tonight when I am your guard, Su'jee won't mind," he said.

The day passed slowly. All I could think about were ideas, things to help people sneak out of the base. Problem was, since the last escape, the building was much more secure. They had even gone around and put locks on the windows. The night time meeting was uneventful. In reality, all I had really done was argue with Krit'ts over everything. We had managed to get Kaynotee a drone to a small village in the mountains. Krit'ts's friend had easily hacked a drone and sent the whole family there. We sent them with some money, it wasn't much, but it would help give them a fresh start. I felt confident that Notawa's family was safe, for now. They had even taken the two scherlot's.

Krit'ts knew a lot about the World Flying Force. As a member of the underground police he had access to information that was way above my rank. The biggest issue now, was trying to get in contact with Tesser and Arwago. Krit'ts was certain they hadn't been captured. The rumor was that they were on a classified mission, but that shows how much the other flying force members trusted their leadership. People were literally disappearing from under their noses, and they just waved it off. Krit'ts was always busy, trying to inform others, but not get busted for it. Since he was an asshole, it wasn't going that well. Sometimes, just bringing up Arwago was the best way to figure out if someone could be trusted. There was no opportunity for me to help with recruiting because I was never alone. Never.