Chapter 28- The Explosion

Sleep came in short bursts. Every noise felt like an escape in the making, but it never came. The hours that passed without an explosion, kicked the tiny sliver of hope from my tired sore body. Krit'ts still hadn't gotten a hold of me either, and that was upsetting me more than anything else.

With only forty-five minutes until launch I would have expected some sort of urgency to my morning routine. Still, the guards kept me prisoner in my room, blocking my empty doorway. Both now carried guns and were unrecognizable to me in their nameless underground police uniforms. When someone brought me some breakfast, my patience exploded.

"Why bother? Someone is just going to knife me in the back in a half hour!"

"Eat," was the only response the short, stocky guard would give. It was the same caveman as before, I recognized his voice when he had spoken that one word.

The launch was supposed to start at nine, so by 8:45, I wasn't surprised that I had a visitor. Only one person would be ballsy enough to show up, and when both of my guards did a salute, it was confirmed.

"Ta'law! You're up, excellent," his crazy eyes were more relaxed today, but the twisted smirk clearly held the pallor of victory.

"I went to the uniform shop and grabbed your new spacesuit for you,"an admin behind him, held up the suit for me to inspect, "don't bother thanking me or anything!" he barked twitching just slightly.

"Thank you? How bout instead I..." he jumped in. "Keep your vague pointless threats to yourself," his hand flicked towards me, dismissing my insult. He walked to my window, inspecting the new lock. My eyes followed him, narrowed thinly, but shooting a poisonous glance that clearly said what I thought about him.

"Your little friend is dead, so that will probably wipe that disrespectful look off your face," the effect was instant, he knew how upsetting this news was and watched in pleasure as the realization came over me. Krit'ts was dead. I couldn't believe it, it hit me so hard and so quickly I didn't even know what to do. My mind wanted to cry but my body wanted to extinguish that look on Sidarc's face once and for all. The split in my reactions kept me rooted to my seat and I ended up doing nothing.

"They gave me wrong information one too many times and I knew, I knew that you had worked some sort of pathetic girl voodoo, so much for that, I have plenty of good soldiers willing to take their spot," he said. The news had shaken me to the core, but instead of grief, rage filled my body.

"Why are you here? Just to rub my face in it?" I spat out at him.

"I just thought it would be nice to be the last one to look you in the eyes, you threatened everything I have worked so hard for. And for what? You don't even really know what's going on Ta'law, and if you had bothered to ask or try to find out, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to join with Arwago and those other traitors," he said, his hand flew out and swished towards the door, like the rebels were just outside, within his reach.

"Why keep it a secret then? Why not just be up front with us?" I asked, still trying to steady myself.

"Humans are sensitive and fickle, they don't know what's best for themselves, someone has to tell them, my job as leader of the world is to do just that, it could have been your job too, but somehow I knew that you were going to be a small insignificant thorn in my side just like your mother," he said. At the mention of my mother I lashed out at him, hoping to claw those sadistic eyes right out of his face. My mouth had made some sort of animal noise, a mix between a scream and growl. The guards were too quick, one tazed me with the shock-prod, while the other used their pistol to hit me in the back of the head. My knees hurt as I slammed onto the floor. Sidarc hadn't been phased by my failed attack at all. There was a slight chuckle as he turned around and saw me on the ground, both my guards had their guns pointed at my head, just inches away from touching it. Just the tiniest dot of blood came off on my hand when I touched where the caveman had hit me.