22

"Hello?"

"I have amazing news."

"Mitchum and Shira died in a tragic car accident? Oh no."

"I'm afraid not, Sherlock. This is even greater."

"What could possibly be any better than that?"

"Oh, I don't know. How about your girlfriend getting into Yale?"

"Oh my god, you got in? That's amazing babe, congratulations."

"Yep. Next year, we'll be at the same college."

"Uh, right. Yeah."

"Why don't you sound as excited as I am?"

"Look, I'll explain it all later. Why don't we go to dinner to celebrate? My treat."

"Sure, I guess."

"Same place as our first date?"

"Yup. See you at 8."

I hung up before he could reply and sighed. Fancy restaurant, his treat, there could only be one explanation.

Logan was going to break up with me.

Nevertheless, I smiled and put on one of my favorite dresses. I drove to the restaurant near Yale where Logan and I had our first date. I just wish we didn't have to ruin the memory by breaking up here.

As I stepped out of the car, I muttered under my breath, "I should have known it was too good to last." I took a deep breath and walked into the restaurant, where I was guided to the private room Logan had booked.

"Hey Queenie." He was fumbling with his hands.

"Hi Logan. Shall we sit?"

"Of course." He looked as nervous as me as he pulled out my chair.

"M'lady."

I only smiled in return.

"So what did you wanna talk about? Do you not want us to go to the same college?"

"Are you kidding?! I'd love to be within a mile of you at all times. But I can't."

"Why not?"

"At the beginning of Freshman Year, Colin, Finn and I made a pact with our parents."

"Where are you going with this?"

"The pact was that if we got in the top 10 percentile of our Sophomore and Freshman Years, we could sail the world on a cruise ship for a year before we became Juniors."

"Oh. So I'm gonna be at Yale while you're cruising the world?"

"Yes. I wish you could come, Queenie, but I know how much Yale means to you and I know you want to graduate at the same time as your sister. And I love you, you know that Queenie, I just want what's best for you."

"So what? Is this the end?"

"No, of course not. We still have a whole summer ahead of us. And we'll fly out for your birthday, and Thanksgiving, maybe you can come to us for Christmas and my birthday. But let's not dwell on that. We have 3 months left together, and then we'll think about the future, OK?"

He reached out for my hand across the table and I blinked back my tears.

"OK. Summer of love. Sierra and Logan Against the World."

"You know it ba-" Just then, my phone rang.

"I'm sorry, do you mind if I take this?"

"Go ahead, I've got all summer."

I quickly kissed him on the cheek before walking to the other side of the room.

"Hello?"

"Hi is this Sierra Gilmore?"

"This is she, who are you?"

"I'm Bert Samson, casting director from the film, It Can't Be."

"Oh my god, hi yes."

"Well, I was just calling to tell you that you got the part of Sienna."

"I'm sorry--what?"

"You got the part in the film, a letter has been sent to your home address. Filming starts in a few months in Los Angeles California. Congratulations, Sierra Gilmore, you are Sienna Davis."

"This is amazing, thank you so much for this opportunity. I look forward to reading the letter when I get home. I'll call you."

I hung up the phone and Logan looked at me expectantly. "What's up?"

"I got the role in It Can't Be!"

"Queenie, that's amazing, I'm so proud of you."

"There's just one problem."

"What?"

"It films in LA, starting right after I graduate."

"Oh. Are you still gonna do it?"

"Of course I'm still going to do it. This is a huge career move for me."

"Yeah of course. Right."

We finished the meal and went back to Logan's for the night. We were cuddling on the couch watching Beauty and the Beast.

"Queenie?"

I looked up at him. "Yeah Sherlock?"

"I don't think you should take the part."

I sat up straight away. "What? Why?"

"Well, what about our epic summer of love? We can't do that if you're on the other side of the country."

"Seriously? You're the one who's travelling the world for a year."

"I know but, I still don't think you should do it. Don't you want to spend your summer with me?"

I got off the couch. "Right now, not really. You're being selfish Logan."

"How am I being selfish? If anyone's being selfish, it's you for jetting off to California."

"I'm going to Hollywood to fulfil my dreams. I have dreamed of this day since I was a little girl, I'm not going to throw it away for some guy."

Now he got up. "Some guy?! Is that all I am to you? Just a guy?"

"No I didn't mean that Logan. I love you, but I have to put myself first."

"You're saying this relationship isn't your top priority?"

"No! It isn't! And if it's yours, that's sweet but it shouldn't be. I will always put my career first. Of course I want to spend an amazing summer with you, Logan, but even more I want to achieve my dreams. I want to make a name for myself other than just being your girlfriend. This relationship doesn't define me. It's a part of me, a part that I treasure very much but will not put ahead of my ambitions. And if you care for me at all, you understand that."

"So you're saying our love means nothing to you?! "

"Did you listen to anything I said? My career will always come first. Period."

"I can't believe you. If that's how you feel, maybe we shouldn't be in this relationship at all!"

"What? Logan, you don't mean that. I know you don't."

"You don't know what I mean! Maybe you don't know me! I can't deal with you, this is over."

"Logan!"

"Get out of my apartment you stone cold bitch!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

I grabbed my stuff and slammed the door. I walked around the building for awhile, before standing in front of another apartment I had visited before.

I knocked on the door: mascara running, tears falling and heart broken.

"Love?"

"I think Logan just broke up with me."