IX. The Deep End

"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up." John Holmes

----

Chapter IX – The Deep End

Considering that I was part house cat, I really didn't know that much about football. Mom and I watched trashy reality shows on Monday nights instead of the games.

And I never attended the games of my high school in New York. I wasn't a player or a cheerleader, and I really had no idea what I was watching, so I saw no sense in going.

Football, it seemed, was a religion in Providence. All businesses closed early. Even the police station was shut down for a few hours which I wasn't even sure was legal. Every man and his dog were flocking to the stadium at Providence High School to see our team take on Newtown.

By the time Shea and I got there, all the student spots were full, taken by parents and town members. We were just lucky that Shea had his senior spot reserved. People were parking nearly a half mile away.

I was initially shocked by the sheer size of the crowd that was gathering in the stands. The massive stadium lights were on, and the perfectly kept ground was on show. Students, parents, and all other adults were wearing school colours of some description. I could already spy Cece and the squad down on the field, doing an incredibly choreographed routine to a song I had just heard playing on the radio.

The cheerleaders were kicking and flipping and doing all sorts of contortion that I found thoroughly impressive. Cece stood out, of course. Her smile was the biggest and brightest, and she was also the most powerful tumbler. She flipped at lightning speed, causing the crowd to erupt in cheers.

"Cece is so good at that," I said to Shea as we climbed the bleachers to take a spare seat.

"She's a bit of a show off," murmured Shea in reply, rolling his eyes. "I keep telling her to calm down her stunts ... you know, so she won't hurt herself, but she doesn't listen to me."

"Ha!" I cried. "The first person not to." I grinned at him. "But she is seriously so talented. She could probably get a cheer scholarship to college if she wanted to."

Shea nodded. "That's the plan," he confirmed. "Oh, yeah!" Shea cried, suddenly standing up and clapping as the football team ran out onto the field. The entire crowd followed suit, and I got up to cheer on my school, too.

***

I mean, I didn't really pick up the rules, but I cheered when Shea cheered and cried out in annoyance when Shea did. Shea found it really amusing.

Our school ended up winning by a field goal, as Shea called it, which meant that the party at Zoey's house was going to be even bigger than we thought. By the buzz of the people in our class, it seemed as though every junior and senior student was going, and if you were dating anyone younger than that, they were going, too.

Cece claimed me after the game with a huge grin on her face. "Hey, you two!" she cried. "Don't you look good together?" Cece winked at me and I blushed.

"Cece," Shea said in a scolding tone.

Cece shrugged her shoulders.

"Cece, I can't believe how talented you are," I remarked, changing the subject. "I wish I could dance like that."

"You probably could. Never know, could be in your blood," Cece encouraged. "Natural athleticism and flexibility."

"Of which I have neither," I retorted jokingly.