XVII. Luna

"They don't know that we know they know we know." Phoebe Buffay

----

Chapter XVII – Luna

My phone chimed.

My eyes flickered open and I was quickly blinded by the sun that was streaming into my bedroom. I hadn't closed my curtains last night.

Ugh, since when was the sun so bright? I shielded my eyes with my forearm and felt out onto my nightstand for my phone. The first thing I found, though, was an aspirin and a glass of water. I wondered who had left those for me.

Shea had brought be home. I remembered that. I didn't remember getting into bed, though, so he must've helped me after I fell asleep in the car. I hope my mom was asleep when we got home. We might not be talking right now, but I did not want an alcohol lecture.

I quickly took the pill before taking my phone in my hand.

I saw that I had been tagged in something online. I quickly opened my Facebook app to see that one of the guys from school had uploaded a video from the party. It wasn't just me that was tagged, but a whole group of people. I clicked on the video and watched as the camera was sloppily spanning around the room, capturing the party goers, the drinking and the music.

I saw myself near the kitchen as I quite loudly told Shea to leave me alone.

"Dude, Luna's gone cold!" The microphone had managed to pick up that drunken slur, and I immediately remembered thinking the term was odd, considering Lex had called me a Luna before then. It couldn't be a coincidence, could it? What sort of nickname was Luna?

I mean, I knew it was a baby name that was semi-popular at the moment. But it wasn't like Sara was anything close to Luna. I had to use any clue I could find to work out what the hell was going on. Maybe this was nothing, but maybe it was something.

I was more awake as I opened up the web browser on my phone and typed in "Luna meaning". I was immediately offered results explaining the meaning of the baby name, but that didn't seem significant enough for me. I abandoned the site and kept scrolling until I found something interesting.

I clicked on a dictionary website that gave me an intriguing piece of information.

Luna was the alchemical name for silver.

Even more interesting was that Luna was the Roman Goddess of the moon. The moon personified.

I followed this trail and opened at least a dozen pages that kept offering me the same few words. Luna, lunar, silver, and lycan. That last word I wasn't familiar with, and so I searched it.

And that's when I knew I was insane. It was like googling your symptoms when you felt sick. You only made things worse and you scared yourself.

Well, I was about to have a freakin' nightmare.

"Lycans, commonly mistaken as werewolves," I read, "are not servants of the moon, but are a more advanced species that can control their transformations at will. A lycan transforms into a bigger specimen of wolf, and is typically stronger than a werewolf, with senses more superior than any other creature. Lycans rarely live away from a pack, and follow a specific chain of command, similar to other animal pack hierarchy." I looked up from my phone and frowned. "What the fu –" I checked the website that I was looking at and saw that it referenced mythological species.

But my brain was already racing. The crazy, unnatural, illogical part of my brain was considering this, even though every fibre of my being knew that this was insane.