Chapter Twenty-Four

Third Person POV

Sans's Perspective

“So that’s the one?” Gerson asks, pointing with his working eye at the (s/t) skinned human chatting with a middle aged woman sporting long, curly hair. In between them appears Papyrus, who greets them both with a hug.

“Yeah,” Sans replies, leaning back against the wall. “I kinda followed your and Grillby’s advice, so we’re friends now.”

“Well go ahead and wish them good luck, then! I’m gonna stay here a lil’ while ‘till my legs start working again.”

“I’ll just wait here.”

Gerson shakes his head at that response, though he doesn’t say anything else to counter that decision. He lays back on one of the empty benches set just a few steps away from the door to the courtroom and pats at the space next to him.

“C’mere, then. Help me kill time while the judge shows up.”

Sans nods and sits down, looking back at (Y/N) before getting to talk with the turtle monster next to him. The human turns to look his way, a smile forming on their face when spotting him nearby. Caught off guard, he expects them to be looking at someone else close by, but waves back at them when taking note of the opposite.

The moment is short-lived when Undyne arrives next to them. She holds up a hand for them and lets out a roaring laugh when (Y/N) proves capable of high-fiving her without wincing or stumbling back from her strength. Alphys arrives next to the fish woman and holds out a hand for (Y/N) to shake. The pair exchange a few introductions and end their conversation when Toriel and Frisk step in. It takes no more than a few minutes for the human to fade away from his sight, already surrounded by too many people for them to look anywhere else.

“What’re ya laughing at?” Gerson asks, directing his words at the skeleton after hearing him chuckle under his breath.

“Nothing,” Sans replies, dismissing that thought. “I spaced out.”

Half an hour passes with (Y/N) still surrounded by the group. One by one, they begin to leave until everyone settles down. The human is called out by the guard watching the entrance and urges them to step inside. The doors open and close behind them, the thud that follows making everyone look to that direction, quiet falling upon the waiting room.

"Please state your name and relation to Faust.”

“My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I’m Faust’s adoptive (mother/father).”

The same question is asked for Jessie, who’s standing on a podium opposite to (Y/N)’s. Unlike them, Jessie is quick to respond and holds more confidence in their tone. The pair are asked for the reasons behind them being here today, and the same happens again.

Pleased with the responses, the judge nods and casts his eyes over to the audience standing by. His lips are a tight, unshakable line as he brings his glasses up to the bridge of his nose and hits the mallet once.

“Settle down, everyone -- Humans on the right, monsters on the left. This should take no longer than a day if both parties are cooperative in their interrogation.”

Murmurs and whispers overcome the silence of the courtroom as everyone around moves accordingly to the rules stated by the judge. Almost all of the audience present settle themselves in their seats, with the exception of Toriel, who -- conflicted by having to leave Frisk alone in the opposite side -- frowns as she thinks over what to do.