Chapter Fifty-Three, Part One

Note: (s/c) means 'soul (trait) colour'.

I'm still alive, lol -- Finally done with finals week, so updates will return to normal now!

The room is still, sterile, and silent with the exception of the monitor's soft beeping. You're unable to tune it out, afraid it would change the pace of its rhythm when you were least prepared to.

Sans is resting in bed, eye sockets closed and soul barely beginning to lower its temperature. It's still hot to the touch, and his sweating is still just as persistent; a tub with soapy water and a cloth are placed next to his bedside for that purpose. You huff and hold back a frown, growing uneasy at the thought of him taking longer to wake up.

". . .Sans?" you call out, waiting.

He barely stirs.

Worry increasing, you crouch next to him and place a hand over his chest, vainly hoping you could help him in some way. You call out for him again and ask a question the next, frowning when you see nothing changes.

"I miss you," you comment, smiling. "Maybe you think it's silly, or that it's too soon to be missing someone. . . But I still miss you. It's been what -- two weeks since we last did anything together? It's hard to believe it's been that long since the first day of the trail happened."

You grab his hand, rubbing circles with your thumb and biting your lip to avoid getting more sentimental than necessary.

"I was thinking. . . What would wait for us when everything calms down -- even if it's just a bit? Don't know if it's too optimistic, but I was imagining it all. . . Seeing Toriel establish a high school, and who knows? Maybe a college. . . Seeing Undyne finally get that job as an officer, Papyrus work with his new promotion, Faust move up another grade. . ."

You squeeze his hand tighter, smile growing.

"G- Getting to live with you longer, bonding our- our souls. . . Marriage." You stop in your rambling to stare at him, smile tightening when you see him still recovering. "What about you -- your specific goals, I mean? Maybe you could finally go to college. . . And get that degree in science, math. . . Whatever path you want. Maybe I could take a baking course while you do that, too -- 'cuz those cupcakes I made really need improvement."

Almost immediately as you hear him mumble, you glance up to see him moving around, expression furrowed as he shrugs the sheets off his body. He doesn't open his sockets, though you listen to him speaking under his breath.

"(Y/N)?" he asks as soon as he wakes, gaze narrowed at you.

You stand up and lean close to him, lips pressed into a tight line as you try to avoid frowning. "What's wrong? Does it hurt anywhere?"

He speaks barely intelligible words, these explained by him gesturing at his chest, a faint white glowing under the beige of his hospital gown. "Don't- Don't call anyone yet, just. . ." You try your best to understand him, though his pain proves stronger than his capability to speak clearly. "Just. . . Bring my soul out, please."

You nod and place your hand over his chest, nervous yet eager to go through with the process. Your hand shakes, though he grabs your wrist, keeping you firm as he manages to say something else.

". . .We'll do it together."

His hand leads you to the center, where the glow's gone fainter, heat rising in its place. You close your eyes and wait, his hold on you growing stronger when the temperature continues to increase. You're tempted to ask over what's going on or at least have a grasp at understanding the situation, yet you stay firm in what you're doing, only pulling back when you feel his soul closer. Sans letting go of you serves as another signal for you to pull away and open your eyes, these widening when you see the state of his soul.