Chapter Twenty-Six

The judge requests silence as he carries on with his final judgement. People are impatient as so are you, in wait for what he was to say next now that Faust had been put under interrogation, and both your and Jessie’s evidence were looked over -- twice by the judge, and once by the police department.

“It appears that, while Jessie has photographic evidence of why they chose to take Faust away, that does not excuse the way they obtained it. Police traced the source of the pictures, and these were all taken on Jessie's cellphone," the judge gives commencement to his speech, stern look being brought down at the yellow folder on his podium. "No evidence that they went back overseas was found. This concludes they did not leave at any point, but rather stayed close by, watching to see what (Y/N) would do. It appears Jessie has been present ever since Sans was assigned as Faust’s Math tutor, which dates back roughly six months ago. This explains why Faust was able to return to (Y/N) with two buses rather than a passport.”

Pausing on his conclusion, the judge looks at you and the crowd does the same. You freeze in place, the strong sensation of all eyes on you making you beyond uncomfortable. If it weren't for the situation you were in, you would rush out of the room and refuse to look back.

“As for (Y/N)’s evidence, Faust and miss Sunny both testified in favour of their reasons for bringing this matter to court. Their respective testimonies allowed us to uncover domestic violence, and both written and verbal threats.”

You can feel your legs shaking and cold sweat build up on your palms. Your eyesight goes blurry and you can feel your stomach churn when you overhear what the audience behind you whispers and murmurs to themselves, a few being purposefully louder than necessary for the sake of being spiteful.

“Oh dear. . .”

“I dunno why (Y/N) didn’t say something about that earlier -- They used to be a cop! Why did they chicken out aluva sudden?”

“What a pity what Faust has to go through.”

“(Y/N) had it coming for messing around with monsters. That guy they're with is just a janitor bragging he knows basic addition.”

“I just hope the kid’s-"

“Silence!”

All mouths collectively shut at the sound of the mallet hitting twice. Visibly bothered by the interruption, the judge casts a disapproving expression at the crowd before facing Jessie’s side.

“Jessie,” the judge speaks, gaining the attention of your ex. The one mentioned grows rigid under the call of their name and faces the judge with an impassive gaze. “I am afraid you are to be sentenced to two years in priso-"

“What?” Jessie snaps. A loud scoff leaves their mouth as they look up at the judge's podium, incredulity in their eyes.

“You are charged with two years in prison for assault with a minor as the witness.”

Surprisingly, the spectators behind you stay quiet. Nobody dares to utter a word, though you can’t discern whether if it’s for the judge’s request for quiet, or if there’s a reason besides that. Still in the process of growing aware of Jessie’s sentence, you look to their side and see them clutching onto the podium, eyes casting down as they slam their hands against the wooden surface. A loud thud follows up to the abrupt explosion of anger in their voice.  

“That’s ridiculous! Faust would never send me to prison,” they exclaim, wide eyes darting back and forth in a quick pace, searching for the one responsible for the judge's sentence. “Where is he? I- I want to hear from him personally.”