Chapter Forty-Four, Part Two

Triple update today to make up for Thursday and Friday's missed updates!

We're almost caught up with the chapters posted on my main site, so updates will most likely be leveled down to Fridays and Mondays from there on.

Take care. :-)

It's even harder for you to feel and act natural when you arrive at the city capital, not a single monster in sight besides those accompanying you. Only Mettaton and Undyne are the ones to remotely blend in with the crowd, yet their flashy colours prevent that from lasting long. All sixteen of you sit by the waiting room, topics varying from how were you going to introduce yourself to the woman and what evidence were you to use against the mayor.

Mettaton has a tiny camera hidden close to his right shoulder blade, onset on filming everything that went on despite the blatant warning he received from the guards not to. Alphys and Blook keep track of all the evidence gathered from the rescue mission while the town's judge and bailiff give a final revision to the argument written on paper. Undyne, on the other hand, helps her girlfriend and the ghost choose what evidence was best for presenting at the office, Sunny and Solana both pitching in by recalling the day the masked people had barged into their homes. Toriel helps you with refining your appearance one last time whereas Papyrus encourages his brother with some pep talk.

Despite everyone's level of preparedness, not one person feels secure about the thought of you facing the woman behind the door, the fact that she could decide your and the monster's future enough for submitting even the toughest person of the group under panic and uncertainty. The new law was beginning to have its effect on the general behaviour and tolerance of people, those who worked under the same roof as monsters erupting into fights every so often -- and vice versa.

You had been lucky to have Faust study at a school meant to keep that harmony intact, and even luckier to have gained a job at the local pastry shop following the same policy.

"Sans should know what to do," Toriel compliments, encouragement present on both her voice and smile when she takes notice of how stiff the environment has become. "He does not say it often, but he was quite skilled with his profession at the Judgment Hall." Her gentle gaze moves from the skeleton to you, her smile brightening as she pats your shoulder once, a support similar to when you told her of your plans of moving in with Sans. "And you, (Y/N). . . You should have the necessary drive for convincing her to listen to your claims. You made it this far thanks to that quality, dear. I believe the both of you complement each other well, so there is no need for you to doubt yourselves."

"I- I agree with miss Toriel," Sunny comments, her frail voice sounding more excited as a smile forms on her face. "You both did well in court, so I- I'm sure you can do this. We can pitch in if she needs more convincing!"

"Yeah!" Faust agrees, Frisk nodding beside him. Muffet sits next to them two, vigilant of the pair while the rest of the group dealt with the flurry of evidence and words meant to be rehearsed before confronting the situation in hand. "If (mom/dad) won the right to date Sans. . . They can win this, too!"

"Of course they can," the policewoman pitches in, a smile on her face. "It was only made difficult since the town's mayor is strong-headed, but I'm sure the mayor of this city isn't like that."

"Strong-headed's an understatement," Sans remarks, a hint of anger cutting through his chuckle. He sounds reasonably pissed, an observation that makes you smile when you see annoyance flicker at the mention of that name. "Tryna reason with that guy's kinda like tryna have a conversation with a brick wall."