4. A bit of truth

Julie finds Marty alone in the band room. She takes out her notepad and interviews Marty.

"You're writing a song?"

"Yes."

"How is it like to write your own stuff?"

"You're a journalist. How do you feel about it?"

"I mostly write about other people and things, never about myself." Julie continues, "Hey it's an interview. How's it like to be a songwriter?"

"It helps me to confront my thoughts? Most people seem too reluctant to acknowledge their thinkings and feelings."

"What's your song about?"

"It's not done yet..."

"We've got to start somewhere."

This would be his first time to reveal his work to anyone else, and Julie is the one to be trusted. Marty picks up the guitar and plays some chords of A bit of Truth.

<<A BIT OF TRUTH>>   
Forgive me
For a bit of truth I contain,   
I was in pain.   
But now hear me,   
In a world of noise.
Some words can fill the void.

"It's beautiful. Did they like it too?"

"I haven't shown them. "

"Then you have to," Julie shows him an advertisement in the school magazine. The annual Varsity Show is now accepting applicants.

******************************************************************************************

Later that day, Marty shows the group the magazine.

"Next stage of Merry Throne," says Marty.

The group reads the advertisement. They are excited, but at the same time uncertain about themselves. One will either be a legend or a joke at the Varsity Show. And no one wants to finish their study on a low note.

"A real stage," says Connor.

"We need an original song for this," says Keira.

"Marty happens to have one," announces Julie.

This is the time to make themselves real musicians. Marty reveals his scribbling. Everyone studies the piece.

"Cous, I adore your efficiency," says Connor.

"Will I write the bass?" asks Ezra.

"Yes," replies Marty.

"I'm calling my writer genes to work," Jesse closes his eyes and calls for his spirit guide.

"Just don't get too argumentative in a song," says Marty.

Merry Throne workshops on Marty's scribbling. Everyone adds a bit of personality to the song. This is their first Merry Throne song.

******************************************************************************************

The varsity show is one of the biggest nights at school. There's a wide range of performances: Dance, Magic show, Rap, A Cappella etc.

Behind the curtain is Connor bombarding the stage manager, who's already busy with the run-down.

"We can work this out, right?" asks Connor.

"You can't just add time to your ..."

Connor interrupts, "You'll need time to clear the stage, we're just adding a solo when everyone's waiting."