8. It could work, because...

For the second recording opportunity, Merry Throne takes turns to play their parts individually. Keira plays the drums as others await in the control room. Marty watches the performance carefully, while Ezra and Jesse are just chatting.

"You think this helps?" asks Jesse.

"We need more time for this," says Ezra.

"I don't feel like a band when we do this."

"It could work, because..."

Jesse interrupts, "Because?"

Ezra continues, "'Because' was recorded by John, Paul and George 3 times to make 9 voices in all in 1969."

Jesse dismisses Ezra, "They're the Beatles."

Keira just finishes her part. Marty adjusts some buttons on the mixing console.

"Let's hear it." Marty hits the play button, he changes the setting as the song plays. The tune varies. Sound editing gives them technically infinite variations on the same song.

"What does that do?" Keira pushes a button, the song instantly sounds electronic. Merry Throne is dazzled by the technology. They explore different functions of the mixing console. Julie drafts the Merry Throne article on the side.

After a while, the assistant enters.

"We ain't done yet," says Connor.

"Sorry. It's all booked up," says the assistant. Frustrated as expected, they know they gotta go.

"I'll do the rest on my Mac," says Marty.

Walking past the hallway, they've all been wondering how will things turn out. Will they come here again, or will they ever hear back?

Once again they're standing in front of the gigantic logo of Imagine Records. This place is a dream.

"Heading to school?" asks Jesse.

Keira nods, "Yea."

"Alright. See you!" says Marty. He watches them go, while Julie is still around.

"I'm going to the records," says Marty.

"Shall I join you?"

"I might be there all day."

"Ok. See you then."

Julie kisses Marty on the cheek. Marty heads to the records store alone. Obsessed with sound engineering, he teaches himself to mix music and spends the day going through lots of albums.

It's late when Marty leaves the store. All other shops along the street are closed already. Marty looks into the pharmacy: no one's there.

******************************************************************************************

It's the practice session again. Marty is editing the music with Logic Pro X. Ezra practices the bass. Julie drafts the article. Others are idling.

"How's the writing?" asks Connor.

"Will they really read about us?" asks Jesse.

Julie smiles, "You'll know."

"Listen to this," Marty asks everyone to get behind his computer as he hits the play button. Their song doesn't sound too good after the editing.

Keira points at the screen, "This bar is a bit heavy."

Marty quickly makes some refinements. Merry Throne discusses the tunes and re-edits the song. Marty's obsessed. He listens to some music and then mimics that sound for their track. This repeats for the rest of the day.