7. This is gonna be our cover story

Merry Throne gets ready for their special day.

"Chop Chop," says Connor.

"One minute." Keira is helping Jesse to pack up.

Julie helps Marty with his hair, "You gonna be great."

"I hope so," replies Marty.

"Hurry!" Connor pushes everyone out of the band room and locks the door.

****************************************************************************************

Merry Throne arrives at Imagine Records. They're standing right in front of the record label's logo.

"Can you believe it?" asks Connor.

"No." replies Marty.

A few steps away is Julie mounting a camera to a tripod. She shouts, "Look here!"

Merry Throne stands upright and gives its best look.

"Do we look like a real band?" asks Jesse. Where's his usual over-the-top self confidence?

"This is gonna be our cover story!" Julie takes a snap.

"Come here!" says Marty.

Keira agrees, "Yea, come!"

Julie sets a timer and runs towards them. It turns out to be an action shot with Julie running into the frame, while Connor and Merry Throne are adjusting their positions.

They then enter Imagine Records. The reception has a simple and modern design. The platinum albums on the wall give a hint on the record label's success.

Connor walks to the reception, "Cody Mayer referred us. We're Merry Throne."

"Please wait for a moment," the receptionist doesn't even bother to look up. She picks up the phone and makes a call.

A moment later, a young executive shows up and greets them, "Hello, I'm Jonathan, I'll show you around."

Connor shakes hand with Jonathan. The two exchange business cards. Jonathan brings them into the restricted area. They walk pass a row of recording studios. Merry Throne, stunned, is never this close to a dream.

"Does Bilanz play here?" asks Keira.

"They've got a studio upstairs," replies Jonathan.

Jonathan brings them to one of the recording studios. Merry Throne looks around. They're so impressed by the set up and the professional equipment here.

"You'll have 2 sessions here," says Jonathan.

"Wonderful," replies Connor.

"Two?" asks Marty. You can immediately tell he's so concerned.

"Deliver the demo afterwards. Good Luck." Jonathan leaves the room.

"Here we are. Can you believe it?" says Jesse.

Ezra replies, "Believe means..."

Jesse interrupts, "Yea I know."

It's not the first time Marty zones out. He is intimidated by the room set-up, but he can't show his fear right now. He's supposed to be the one making this all happen.

Marty takes a breath, "OK, let's get started."

Marty, Jesse and Ezra take out their guitars. Keira gets to the drums set. Connor stays in the control room.

He hits the "record" button when Marty gives him a signal. Merry Throne plays their song Level 99. Julie remains in the recording room and photographs the band. After several takes, Marty puts down his guitar. He doesn't feel right.

"What is it?" asks Keira.

Marty exhales, "We're not gonna make it this way."

Jesse questions, "What do you mean, we're playing just the same."

Connor peeks his head into the recording room, "Let's get a quick break."

"I've got some Fanta out there," says Ezra.

Merry Throne heads to the control room to have a quick drink.

"This place is cool," says Keira.

Jesse agrees, "I could spend all day here."

"All your life," laughs Ezra.

"I don't mind," replies Jesse.

Julie checks on Marty, "Everything's ok?"

"Yea, just need some time to warm up. I'm good," says Marty. Marty is contemplating; his gaze is fixated on the control room equipment.

Julie smiles so sweetly at him, "OK, you'll be great."

Merry Throne heads back to the recording room and plays some more songs. They're doing alright, though Marty still seems distracted occasionally.

Some time later, an assistant enters, "It's time. You gotta go."

"Woah, time flies", says Connor.

Merry Throne packs up and leaves. Another aspiring artist awaits that recording room. The assistant directs them to the exit, but Marty takes a detour and sneaks to the upper floor alone.

The upper floor, restricted to established artists, has even better recording equipment. Marty hears some heavy electronic music from one particular room. He peeks through the window, but no one is playing. A middle-aged man in suit happens to leave that room, leaving the door half open. Marty looks through the slit and observes a man making adjustments on a mixing console. That's Tony. Every button he tunes makes a subtle change to the song. Marty is stunned to see a magician at work. He unintentionally pushes the door and makes a sound. Tony sees Marty.

"Hey."

Marty has totally forgotten about his illegal presence. He's just stunned, "That stuff is awesome."

Talking like an old friend, Tony says, "Yea, I grew up with a Peavey."

"You do?"

"Yea, my dad runs a second hand store." Tony is excited to share his story, he continues " I thought that mixer was a toy, but when he showed me, I was bombed."

"I ain't got that luck. But that tune you just did: Harmony," says Marty.

Tony is flattered, "Hear this." He hits the replay button. It's a powerful song. Marty nods along with the beats.

***************************************************************************************

"Listen to this." Marty plays a song on the computer, "You know what it is?" 

"Pop song," says Ezra.

"It's Bilanz." Marty continues, "I watched the guy tuning this music."

"No way," says Jesse.

Marty nods, "I went upstairs that day."

"What?" exclaims Keira.

"Did you get caught?" asks Ezra.

Marty explains, "The guy showed me how to use his Peavey. This is what we should be           doing."

"Huh?" says Jesse.

"We should mix our tracks!" says Marty confidently, at least that's how he sounds like.

Keira is hesitant, "That's not our style."

"We just haven't tried it before." Marty clears his throat, "There's the mixer, anyone could be           using it. We'll miss out if we don't."

"I don't know," says Jesse.

"What're you proposing?" asks Ezra.

Marty repeats, "We'll mix it. It's worth a shot."

The floor is open, waiting for response.

"Boss said it," says Jesse.