Chapter 3

"I knew you were real!" He grinned cheerily

"I knew you were real!" He grinned cheerily. There was no malice in his actions, his face only lit up by pure joy and amazement.

I pulled out my dagger, making him step back slightly with his arms in the air. I wasn't really sure what that action meant but I assumed it meant he wasn't here to attack.

"What do you want?" I asked, my dagger still pointing at him. "Why are you here?"

"I saw you the other day." He answered. "No one believed that you were real."

My eyes filled with terror, my voice losing its gruff confidence, "You told people I was here?"

"Only my brothers. That's kind of what people do when they see a beautiful mysterious girl in the woods." He shrugged casually.

At his statement, I only cocked my eyebrow up in confusion. His words seemed rather odd to me. Although, I'd never actually seen my face before, so I wasn't really sure if his words held any truth. Until this day I'd never even thought about my appearance. I knew I had brown eyes and brown hair and my skin was slightly tanned from my years outside, but since I was a little girl I had not seen my face.

Rat squawked again and I looked up at her, the boy following my gaze. She was right, I had to make him afraid to come back here. I gripped my dagger tighter and walked slowly towards him with it aimed at his throat, "I'll ask you again, what do you want?"

He gave a coy smiled, seeming a little concerned about the dagger that was now very close to his throat. "I just came here to see you. I'm Hvitserk." He held out his hand for me to shake it. I only looked at it in confusion and then back up at his face. He lowered his hand awkwardly before speaking again. "Do you have a name?"

"Why would I tell my name to someone who I'm never going to see again?" I questioned.

He grinned again like a child, "Well, maybe I could see you again?"

Again, Rat squawked. This time it sounded more like laughter. I smiled at her response. "No. Now get out of my home."

"Your home? You live here?" He asked curiously. I didn't answer. "Wait, you're not a faerie are you?"

I smiled a little at his comments, "No, I'm not a faerie."

"You look like you could be a faerie. Faeries are beautiful but terrifying too." He answered.

"I'm not a faerie!" I spoke in exasperation.

He sighed in relief, "Good. I don't want to die."

I gave a mischevious grin back, pushing my dagger closer towards him, "Just because I'm not a faerie, doesn't mean I can't kill you."

Slowly, I backed away, Rat flew out and perched back on my shoulder. I walked backwards, and began to leave.

"Wait, tell me your name!" He called after me.

I laughed gently, "If I tell you my name will you promise not to return?"

He smirked back at me, "I can't make any promises."

"Tyri." I sighed. "My name is Tyri."