Chapter 6

At first light, I left my home

At first light, I left my home. I decided it would be best to avoid any and all further contact with the boy that remained there, and walked into the woods ready to hunt. I assumed my message was clear, and that I would never see him again. Deep inside of me, I kept hearing this overwhelming voice that told me I should try and be nice. That I should trust him. That I was lonely. But I was far too stubborn to listen.

It was a nice day. A gentle summer breeze, the sun glistening through the dense leaves and making them glow. It was mid September at this time and, though winter was far from here, I could already sense its presence approaching. The odd leaf on the ground, a chill in the air, animals were few and far between. Hunting would soon become much more difficult so I had to make up for lost time and gather as much as I could.

I'd somehow found pheasants in one of the clearings surrounded by lush bushes covered in berries. It was like a gift from the gods and I was going to make the most out of it. Carefully, and with precision, I aimed my bow. With three fingers, I pulled the arrow back on the string. I took a deep breath, watching carefully, and then fired. A hit.

I made my way over to the dead bird and strapped it onto my waist with a proud smirk. My joy for succeeding never disappeared. I was as excited now by hitting my target as I was ten years before.

Again, I aimed my bow. The surroundings were still, silent. I was about to release the arrow when a noise sounded from beside me. I turned, shooting at the sound, only to be created with a loud "Ow".

"Shit!" My eyes widened as I noticed Hvitserk with an arrow now lodged in his arm. I ran over, internally punching myself and mildly panicking. I was probably going to get killed now. I mean, you can't exactly just run around shooting people! When I reached him, he didn't exactly seem concerned though.

"Thanks for the arrow but, you know, I didn't mind you keeping them." He replied through a slightly pained expression.

"Are you alright?" I asked, utterly terrified.

He just smiled, "Why? are you worried about me?"

My hand reached up to the arrow that now stuck out of his arm and after his choice of words, I tore it loose. I gave a small grin as he looked at me as though I'd just murdered his dog. "This could get infected. Do you have any alcohol?" I questioned.

"I wish." He spoke with a sigh.

I rolled my eyes back at him, tearing off the bottom of my shirt to make a bandage around his arm. "It needs fire. I'll have to heat up my blade and seal the wound."

"That sounds painful." He grimaced.

I smiled gently, "Yes."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" He asked.

Again, I gave a small smile, "Perhaps a little." Hvitserk laughed at my response before we began our walk back to the cave.

Along our way back, Hvitserk and I actually talked. He told me about his brothers, about the day we first met in the woods, and how he was trying to get away from their arguing. His family seemed so large, it must've been nice. I'd never experienced something like that. Having so many people you can turn to when you need them.

He told me about Kattegat, about the raids his oldest brother had been on, about how he went to Francia as a child and survived a massacre. Every story he told me about his life and all the places he'd been made me more and more intrigued. I'd always wished to travel, but in my mind I was always alone. It never crossed my mind how different it would be to experience the world with others. I'd never even thought about other people until the day I met Hvitserk.

I yearned to see the world. Not just the wildlife and the sea. I wanted to travel to strange lands and meet new people. I wanted to find somewhere where I could belong. Somewhere where I didn't have to hide.

When we reached my home, I lit a fire and began heating up the knife. Hvitserk seemed a little concerned but I tried to reassure him. This was far better than dying of infection.

The blade got hot quickly, almost filling the handle with the same warmth. Steadily, I took it off the fire and placed it over his arm.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked gently.

"No, but do it anyway." He'd replied.

At that request, I placed the burning knife onto his wound. I was impressed by his reaction. When I first had to do this to myself, I screamed so loud I feared the elves could hear me. However, he simply grit his teeth and remained silent. Again, I bandaged up the wound, but this time with a clean piece of cloth. I poured out a cup of mead and held it out for him to take a drink.

"Are you alright?" I fretted.

He gave a small smile, "Never been better." I chuckled a little at his comment, making his smile widen. It was a strange thing to think at the time, but I recall thinking how nice it was to see him happy. It made me want to smile too.

"What will you do when you get home?" I asked in a quiet tone.

"I'll just tell my brothers I got stabbed by some girl who couldn't bare to lose me. You'd be surprised how often it happens." He joked.

My face lit up as I tried not to burst into laughter, "I certainly would."

"Hey, you're the first girl I've met that didn't want to marry me! It's true!" He continued, only making me laugh more.

We sat there all morning, drinking mead and laughing. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling to someone who has no concept of it. The feeling of being alone for so many years, of never even thinking about being with others. I'd never even spoken to someone my own age before! And yet, against all odds, I was sat talking to someone. Someone my age. Someone who I got along with, perhaps even trusted.

When you've lived your whole life in fear, it's hard to find hope. When you stay stuck in one moment of darkness for so long, sometimes you begin to believe that you will never see the light. I'd been trapped in the shadow of my parents deaths for years. I held onto those fears and hatreds of my youth, never letting go or moving on. I was stuck. There was no one around me to guide me out of the dark. I was just trapped in my own head. I thought I was right, that the way I lived was the only way I could ever live. But as I talked to Hvitserk more, I realised how wrong I was. He gave me hope. And for the first time in so long, I was not alone. I was not afraid. I belonged.